how long can you function on less than 4 hours of sleep each night?

my one month old wakes up every two hours at night, so I do not get much sleep. During the day when he is sleeping, I am trying to get things done, so again no sleep. How long can this go on?

Stuchie

Asked by Stuchie at 6:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I advise you to stop worrying about house work and sleep when he sleeps. It will not take very long tell you sit down and just fall asleep.

Answer by louise2 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It goes on as long as it has to. It is not easy and you will forget a lot. When I was in the hospital having my son I was missing midterms of my last semester of college. When I got home with my first child ever, I had to complete my midterms. Then my husband was working 90 hour weeks at the hospital so I had to stay up at night with the baby so he could get a couple hours of sleep. So I still had a newborn, college, messed up sleep schedule and then my grandma died. So along with that emotional turmoil we had to travel. This was 3 months of my life with not much sleep. Hang in there, it can't get as bad as my situation right? :)
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Is he sleeping longer than 2 hour stretches during the day? If so, invite some help over (family member, neighbor girl) to play with the baby and try to keep him up more during the day, and you can still get some stuff done too or even rest. Even if you can strech out his night time sleep to 3 hour stretches, you will feel more rested. Good luck mama!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• A very long time. My older son woke every 2 hours for 14 months. Cosleep, so that you can get the rest you need. I co-slept from the start with my younger son and I've slept great up until now. I honestly forgot what sleep deprivation felt like... but now that he's got canines pioking through it's playing havoc with our sleep.

Also, drop the stuff during the day. Your house won't fall down. Make dad help out.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well, you should be sleeping when the baby sleeps. That is the best advice I ever received! If you have a SO, maybe trade nights with them? Take turns so that each of you gets a chance to sleep. I personally go through cycles (without a baby) where I will go on 3-5 hours of sleep a night. That usually only lasts a month. Sleep deprivation lowers your immunity, can effect your memory (mostly short term) and can make you weak and lethargic. Once again, I highly suggest sleeping when the baby sleeps. Don't forget your body is still recovering from giving birth! You need all the sleep you can get.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I lived that way for years... Of course it was because of work not children, but 4 hours is 4 hours no matter why... I worked 2 sometimes 3 full time jobs... And never slept. That said, I don't think I could do it now. We co-slept with our children and even when they woke up there was no need for us to get up and move around the house, I could roll over, pat them on the butt and go back to sleep... Also, when he naps, nap. Screw the house work and sleep when he does.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• well, i have learned i cant function without more sleep. u just have to eliminate things that arent important, like folding laundry or vaccuming everyday. choose what HAS to be done, and do it. then save the other things for down time. but be sure to take a nap when ur baby is taking a longer nap.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 6:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i agree with louise..leave that behind get some rest..i have been able to go on less 2 min to 8 hrs w/o sleep my doc told me i had to stop cause it causes u to start hallucenating..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 7:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You can go on for years with just 4 hours of sleep, no problem. Like the others have said leave the housework it will still be there and get a bit of sleep.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• stop doing ur house work and SLEEP!!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010