Ive never been SO scared in my entire life!

I was just finishing up the dishes from dinner and DD was playing in her room (with the door open) which is like 5 feet away ...well all of the sudden she comes running into the kitchen and she had gotten her easter bucket (the metal ones from walmart) over her head around her neck!! I immediately started to freak out and was desperately trying to get it off I was crying my eyes out, I was soo scared it was going to choke her to death and I kept trying to bend it to get it off and it was just getting tighter, finally by some grace of God I was able to bend it apart...I just sat there crying and holding DD...I am so angry at myself, I feel like the worst mother in the world..and now DD's neck is all red..should I take her to the ER??? she seems to be completely fine now but im just so worried about her..please no bashing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kids get into things like we never think. Im sure she will be fine. Hug and kiss her more and you will both be okay...Shes probably back to playing though, right?
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i'm sure she's fine. don't beat yourself up over something you had no control. take a deep breathe..when you've calmed down (she's already fine, right?), you could sit down with her and talk about why she shouldn't put things over her hear that don't belong there.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• *breath*
    dullscissors

• *head*...dang...typos!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• just breathe. if she isnt showing signs of having trouble breathing, i wouldnt worry. its just one of those experiences u have to learn from.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 6:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If she is ok. Do not bring her.

Answer by louise2 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• At least she is ok now. So that's a blessing in itself
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Calm down mama. She didn't lose conciousness right? No need to go to the ER.
    We have all had those oops moments. My 18 mo son dug some lifesavers out of my nightstand and almost choked. The ems said It was just good it was a life saver or he might not have been so lucky.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• don't beat yourself up... it is impossible to prepare for all the things kids think up to do with stuff. sounds like she is okay now - i wouldn't worry about it unless there is bruising or swelling on her neck or she gets dizzy. but if you need to go to make yourself feel better then do it. i have gone to the ER for myself and my daughter for some crazy stuff and a couple times was even asked what i was worried about (like the time i shocked myself while pregnant on an exposed wire in the fridge - i called the OB and they said go in - later on she told me pretty much any time i am worried enough to call she's going to tell me to go to the doctor - the ER docs were like so why are you here, what is your OB worried about anyway but they hooked me up to the fetal monitors anyway)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You did nothing wrong. It was an accident that could not have been prevented without a padded cell. Im sure she is fine. Maybe you need a few extra cuddles form her.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2010