Am I allowed to deny a pap?

I hate that, it hurts me AND I'm not going to have the baby naturally anyways... It's a c/s. So, do I have to do this in early pregnancy? I am about 5 or 6 wks, can I deny it? Isnt there a risk involved?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its best to get one i had severe cervical dyplasia and had just had a pap 7 months before that was totally normal. and its true paps are nothing compared to the after math of having a baby. i have two and the car ride killed me both times... Not to mention using that bathroom after lol. Good luck & congrats
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 7:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Ummm, just my thought here...but if you cant tolerate a pap...then good luck for the rest of this pregnancy and after the c-section...that hurts way worse than a pap.

I dont refuse them b/c if I have cancerous cells I want to KNOW so that I can do something about it before it gets out of control...it has nothing to do with having a vaginal birth.

Really, during this life, there are many things we do that are not fun...but we do them....it only takes less than a minute for them to get the cells anyways...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You're allowed to do whatever you want. There' s no "law" that says you have to get a pap at any time in your life. I know its not a comfortable experience but having a pap can detect early cell changes that can lead to cancer of the cervix. If you want to take the risk that is up to you. You dont' "need" a pap while pregnant but they recommend you have one if you have not had one recently.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 7:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Are you talking about a PAP smear, that is done to screen for cervical cancer and not for delivery.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with momof2babes. Besides a pap would be the least of my worries. Pushing a baby out of the cooch hurts much worse thsn a damn pap smear
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• FYI- I've had 3 c-sections, I know it hurts so if you cant answer the question then move on.
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• you dont have to do anything. but I believe that you should always weigh the pro's and con's and discuss procedures with your dr.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You can deny anything you want really. Its' not like they can arrest you or anything. If you recently had one done (within the last year) and haven't had one that showed anything strange in the last couple years then I would say no myself if it really bothers you that much. They are now saying that as long as you don't have abnormal results you only need one every 2 years. Personally I have never had pain during a pap or after so I don't see what the big deal is, but to each their own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Um why wouldn't you want it done? It screens for a lot of issues in early pregnancy. And if you think it hurts, maybe it's just a lack of pain tolerance? I am a huge wuss and think a PAP is freaking nothing...just get it done.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 7:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010