I want to try BFing, but......?

1. I can't afford a good pump and cant manage with a cheap one
2. All the stuff for breast feeding is sooo expensive.
3. WIC gives me formula

I've formula fed 2 children and really want to try breast feeding, are there any organizations that help with these expenses?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I breastfeed now and i know of some cheap ways to get by just fine with out all the high priced items... Message me and if you like we could talk on the phone :-)
    also i know of places that can help http://www.llli.org/ and local free clinics are great as well
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 8:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I hand expressed half the time...may seem weird, but hey, it worked in a pinch. The hospital provided me with a medela manual pump, that worked too. Wic should have pumps available, since they prefer that you breastfeed your child as long as possible. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Here is a link about how WIC helps support breastfeeding mothers.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/breastfeeding/breastfeedingmainpage.HTM

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Breast feeding is FREE. You just "attach" the baby to your breast and the baby drinks the breast milk. WHat makes you think it costs anything at all?? LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well first off WIC will give you a pump to use if you need it to return to work or school and it is a hospital grade one. If you are not doing either of the two then you likely won't need a pump and can hand express or use the $25 hand pump at Wal-Mart for the occasional outings. Second WIC has changed and now gives a lot more food to breastfeeding mothers and very little formula to mothers so you would still need to buy formula every month. Thirdly you don't NEED anything to breastfeed other then breasts. There are some things that are helpful, but they are not needed.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• What "stuff" are you looking at that's expensive? I got a good "expensive" pump from WIC - they give you those and pads as well... But I never pumped, I simply couldn't, even by hand it didn't work for me. Beyond the cost of a single jar of Bosom Buddy and a single jar of Nipple Butter (which together cost me less than $20) there was no cost to breast feeding... And even if you choose to only nurse part time, like I will be this time, WIC will still provide you formula. Plus, if you're nursing they will also provide YOU with bread, cheese, milk veggies and fruit...

Besides, if you try it and it doesn't work out, you can always go back to formula full time later...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• well, if you have only formula fed with your others how do you know you won't respond well to an inexpensive manual pump? check with WIC, they will often help with the cost of a pump, it is FAR cheaper for them then a years worth of formula
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Breastfeeding is so much cheaper! That is the funny thing! I never pumped though. I had so much milk, that i just miked myself with my hand. It was so much easier & not a pain at all. BUT, when i gently squeezed my nipple, a lot of milk would come out * I'm not sure if every woman can "milk" themselves like i did, with the success that i had. I would just pinch my nipple (gently, don't hurt yourself) at the base of the areola, then drag your pinched fingers to the tip of your nipple to make the milk squirt out.

So, other than a pump...what is so expensive about breastfeeding? Also, Mothers who breastfeed, are aloud ot stay on WIC much longer than mothers who don't breastfeed & they also are aloud to get better food & more food because the mother needs proper nutrients to breastfeed AND because it saves WIC money. Formula is expensive for them. WIC also gives out free breast pumps & other nursing things.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm curious though...

What kind of expense are you thinking come with breastfeeding, I've never heard anyone say it was expensive before...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Hmmmm I didnt know WIC gives breast pumps! I'm in college, thats whyn I wanted a pump. This is great news.... But what about the nipple butter, bottles?, pads etc etc etc?
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010