Can i deny a pap/ exam?!? Re write! adult content

Okay, some of you ladies were a little rude and decided to tell me that having a baby etc hurts more than a pap, I know! I've had 3 kids, thanks.
Now, the thing I want to know is just about the internal exam with the "duck". lol... I heard it has risks involved with the pregnancy and I was wondering if I can deny it. It is very uncomfortable, there is a reason i cant deliver vaginally so opening it up like that is super painful!! I can understand one at the end but not right now, I'm ealry. What do uthink?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I also answered your other question...you do not have to do anything that you dont want to...you should talk to your dr about it though...they do have different sizes of speculums (duck bills) I find that the plastic ones seem to be a lot more comfortable (in comfort as somthing stuck inside your who ha could be anyway) than the metal ones. And like the other ladies have said, if you have had normal paps in the past it shouldnt be a big deal to just wait until after the baby is born.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• gertie- That thing they use to actually spread it and get the swab in there! They like crank it open and it hurts me!! I foget whats its called, some people call it the duck....lol It's just im super sensitive....

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster
    ********************
    It is called a SPECULUM and it is not as big as what goes in there when you have sex. SO how did you get pregnant if it is so painful? LOL.
    Just kiddin' .... but that speculum is not a painful instrument of torture and the Pap smear test might save your life.
    You seem to overreact to pain and also,to us!!!! We are giving you good advice and you call it being rude. What the heck???
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• .gertie- I'm not over reacting.... My cervix is high so when they crank it open it hurts!! A penis is way different. LOL I appreciate the info and the proper name. hahaha

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) 3 minutes
    *****************
    The don't crank open your cervix----they crank open your vagina. You do know that your cervix is the bottom part of your uterus,right? They don't open your cervix. The vagina is opened by the "duck bills" so that they can reach your cervix way back there and swab it.
    I thought everyone knew that.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You have the right to deny ANY medical procedure you don't want, regardless of your reasons...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's part of the prenatal care. I cannot deliver vaginally because my hips are not large enough and a 6lb baby got stuck. I have never heard of any risks involved with it while you are pregnant so if there IS any they must not be common at all.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 7:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Like I said before, nobody can "make" you have one. You can say no to any medical procedure you like. The doctor may try to talk you into it by presenting the reasons why its a good idea (ex: to detect early cervical cell changes that could lead to cancer). It's up to you though, in the end. Having a pap has nothing to do w/ pregnancy anyway.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 7:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• To add, I've had six babies & only ONE time has a doctor done a pap while I was pregnant. I do however have them on a regular basis. I just happened to be "due" for one at the time so he suggested I just get it over with.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 7:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Not trying to be mean just saying we didnt know you had kids n just to be honest lol... But I was preggo with my second and had to do the pre preg routine and as i said before i was severe cervical dyplasia and i had a normal result just 7 months earlier so now i have to have at least 2 a year.

But i would ask your doc if there is alternative test you can have to get the results hes/shes looking for... Sorry if it seemed rude before but best of luck and congrats again. ^,^
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 7:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is procedure to have a pap done on your first or second visit. It's not pleasant but it's a responsibility with being pregnant to take care of yourself. It's not dangerous, and it won't hurt you or baby. They test for, cancer, STDS, look at the cervix to see if its healthy, and also check for harmful bacteria that can cultivate during pregnancy. I have only been with one man for six years so I know I had no STDS, but they were able to find another type of bacterial infection I had by a pap smear that could have cost me my baby.

Wouldn't you want to know if you had cervical cancer? My neighbor was six mos preg and lost her baby because she was unaware she had cervical cancer. Her cervix was too ill to carry the child to term, but she says it could have been prevented had they done the types of testing they do now.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have been preg 5 times and they always did one. And you can't spread cancer cells with a q tip. That's just silly, they multiply by cell division. It's not bacteria.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010