sound-it-out

Do, or did, your children learn to read by sounding words out or is memorization the norm now?
my grade 1er is being taught by memorization only. Is this normal?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 7:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• neither method is the one to use across the board... memorization IS important esp. with a lot of words in the english language that you just can't read phonetically. Thats why there are sight word list. And phonetics is another tool to use ... there are all tools in your how to read box and are all imp.
    Phonetics can sometimes become a crutch instead of a tool when children focus only on the letters and their sounds instead of ever seeing the whole word ... (my mom has issues with phonetics and with ds/dd org. taught just that I can see the prob)...
    HOWEVER... its a WONDERFUL tool as long as we also make sure that children see the whole word too

The best way ... as usual... is to use a COMBINATION of methods to help them learn (reading, math etc.)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I could read before I was 4, and learned by following my grandma while she read. I believe a combination of the two is effective. "Sight words" should only be applied to simple, commonly used words- "but" "if" "then" "they" etc. Phonetics teach a child how to read a word they don't already know based on the possible letter/sound combinations.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my pre-k ds is being taught "sight words"
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I homeschool & teach my girls to sound it out.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• no program is complete ~ some schools/districts have a method they like and stick with it after their investment in the curriculum ~
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 7:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Mine have learned through memorizing and phonetics, they both work.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• In my girls' school, some small words are taught by sight or memorization in kindergarten, they may be going to phonics or sounding later in the year bu not sure. Phonics are more common beginning in 1st grade and up.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It really needs to be a mixture of both. Lots of words don't follow the 'sound it out' (phonics) rules, so memorization helps. They still need to learn to sound out words though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• From what I am told by friends most schools now are teaching sight words. We homeschool and we teach phonics.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My children are in French Immersion and they are being taught to sound it out. At home we work on English reading and use sounding it out and for words that don't follow the "regular rules" we get them to memorize...sight words.
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010