If I start a new job and get covered under their health care provider but they don't cover preexisting conditions, would they cover my pregnancy?

I am waiting to hear if i got a teaching job that has full benefits and someone asked me if the new provider will cover preexisting conditions (aka my pregnancy that i just found out about. I am only 7 weeks). If they dont cover preexisting, what do i do?!

Lynoor

Asked by Lynoor at 7:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it's group insurance, I think they have to cover it. Private insurance wouldn't, but I didn't think group insurance had a choice. It's been several years since I had group insurance though, so don't take my word on it. I don't know if that has changed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Are you currently working? Do you currently have health isurance? If you have a gap in coverage LESS THAN 2 months its not considered a pre-exsisting contition.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• pre-existing conditions generally have a limiting definition that you have to have seen a doctor for the condition in order for it to be considered pre-existing. also, HIPAA laws require that pregnancy CANNOT be considered a pre-existing condition. i think there are some instances where a health plan is not required to adhere to HIPAA but not too many - if you need additional assistance, please PM me - i worked in the health insurance industry for over 12 years and can likely help you figure stuff out.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I believe under the new healthcare bill, you can't be denied insurance due to a pre exisiting condition. However, I'm not sure if that part of the bill has taken effect.

you will also need find out about their leave policy, since you will not have been there the required amount of time for FMLA
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Some times they do. Just ask them. My husband got a job while I was prego with our DD. I was 7 months at the time and they told him as long as she was born after July 1st they would cover it. That was May. It just depends on the company and insurance. Good luck! And Congratulations!
    CATsMom362

Answer by CATsMom362 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have not had health insurance for a year because i graduated from college a year ago, went off my families insurance, and havent been able to afford to get health insurance since. Ive been looking for a teaching job ever since i graduated. I just applied for medicaid and should be getting my card in the mail soon. I dont know how this all works.
    Lynoor

Comment by Lynoor (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

---

this sounds like he had a waiting period before his insurance was effective rather than a limitation of the health plan?

OP - medicaid is sooooo much fun (not), but it works well for pregnancy, so either way you will be covered - in fact likely to be MORE covered under medicaid for the pregnancy (e.g. no deductible, no copays/coinsurance). anyway... good luck with the job and the baby! if you have trouble with insurance at any time going forward, please do not hesitate to ask me for help. i personally don't know how people who aren't intimately famility with insurance get anywhere - i find it challenging and i know what to ask
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't think pregnancy falls under that category - ask your HR person.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If it's a large group insurance policy you more than likely have nothing to worry about. I work in the industry but work in the individual segment, everything to us is preexisting unless you have prior coverage with no lapse in the past 63 days. But to the best of my knowledge on a group plan you should be fine unless it's a small business group plan.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 7:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My health insurance asks if you have been treated for whatever in the last 12 months. (like under another insurance). If so, it's pre-existing.....if not, they cover it.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 12:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2010