how do i explain to my kids that momma will be back

My kids lost there father about 10 mths ago and they think that everyone they dont see for a long time it gone forever also. My girlfriend how has been in their lives since day one as momma had to leave for 3 mths to go to the police academy and i cant seem to explain to them that she will come home. our 3 yr old screams for her at night and refused to use the potty now(she was the one that trained her and put her to bed everynight since i work nights) I dont know how to explain it to her... our 2 yr old is just a little more cranky then before...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Can you skype with "Momma", that would show the little ones that she is alive. I know my 5 year old is just now realizing death is forever. I'm not sure a 3 year old really knows her dad is dead. My kids lost a couple of grandparents around that age and didn't get it. Good luck, I'll give you a bump, so you can get more advice.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i dont know..i have never had that problem..m/b talking to her every morning an night might help ease their fears...death is such a hard subject for any child..so i will bump also m/b someone else will have more knowledge on the subject
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't know, but good luck. This is rough.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Skype
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Can she send letters, talk to them on the phone, or Skype? Kids that young have a hard time understanding object permanence as it is, they need some help understanding that this isn't forever. Best of luck.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Can't you go visit her?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Make sure they are talking to her on the phone and maybe a visit if possible.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 12:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree Skype, web cam
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If you don't have webcam abilities, write letters! Talk about what you think she is doing today. Google search police academy and emphasize that this is what she is doing. Mark her return arrival on the calendar and plan a welcome home party....
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• continue to explain to them the difference and get her to call each nite or anytime they can talk to her
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2010