My brother (age 50) has DVT--from the ankle to the groin--left leg..he is in hospital. They are giving him blood thinners. How dangerous is this condition---How serious? I know that if the clot breaks off and head to his lungs it is not too good. He wishes they would just cut off his leg, is this an option? I hope not.

He is also epileptic (since 2 years old), which he is being treated for. He takes grand mall--seisures. He fell from the roof a few years back and broke 29 bones in his body. It is amazing that he even lived.

badvsewingrrl

Asked by badvsewingrrl at 2:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Health

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_vein_thrombosis
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I am 25 and I have DVT they found it when i was pregnant with my 3rd child and have been on treatment every since!! It is very serious but if they are taking the procautions they need to he should be ok....Now as for cutting his leg off, people with DVT should not have any kind of surgery if at all possible because your blood has to clot to stop the bleeding and this is what we are trying to avoid!! hope this helps!! If you have anymore questions feel free to message me!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2008