day care

is day care good for a child or bad?? to me theres alot of reasons why i don put my daughter in it shes 20 months but i no they learn things from being in a day care but what do u think is it good to put her in there even if not nessasary

babykathy09

Asked by babykathy09 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, i think this question prob should go in the debate area because I think people will have allot to say on behalf of their beliefs. This said it depends on how socialized your chid is. If you are a SAHM that is in a Mom's or Playgroup and your child is inreacting with other kids on a daily basis there is no need. I am in a Mom's group, he is My Gym, he takes swim lessons and an art class with other little ones. I feel like for a 2 1/2 year old it is more than enough. I also workout at a gym that has an amazing daycare. He goes EVERY AM for an hour and because I go so early thee are only 2 other kids. This way he is getting his needs met but also having interaction with the same kids.
    I think allot can depend on the daycare. They are all different and some are amazing and some just pure suck. I have a good friend who is a teacher. She sends her son to a home daycare because it is cheap. cont.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• cont...Her son's behavior and attitude towards both his mother and other kids is out of control!! He used to be very sweet...even a bit passive but a good kid. Now he is nothing but mean, pushy and snotty to everyone. Who knows if daycare did this but the changed happened after he started going. Even my friend is frustrated...I say REALLY do your research. I am even stressing out about preschools.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i didnt want to put mine in this summer but i realize the benifits of daycare...
    they help with potty training..
    they learn how to share,interact with kids or peers
    it tires her out so bedtime is a snap
    it help her get a schedule when it comes to napping an again bedtime
    help with talking,writing,etd
    they prepare my 2yr for kindergarten
    help with eating,learning how to eat,etc
    plus ithe more she was a way i miss her even more..

now there are not that many down sides to my dd being in daycare excpet for the occasional kid who bites,hits,or curses..but that is not that often at my childs daycare..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• There is a difference between daycare and preschool. At 20 months I would only put her in daycare if necessary. A playgroup for her would be good a couple of times a week for an hour or so at a time. When she is closer to three a two or three day a week preschool for a half a day is beneficial and the year before kindergarten a 5 half day preschool should have her ready for kindergarten.
    I would say that now she needs to be with you more than daycare.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• What are the alternatives? Are you a SAHM? There are play groups that you can join if you're concerned about socialization. I prefer private sitters, if you have someone you can trust. But by all means I have known kids in daycares that turned out okay, if that's what you're asking. LOL.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think it's personal preference. I prefer NOT to place my children in daycare as long as I am able to stay at home with them myself. I think that there are so many germs, children that are mean/sick/whatever that I don't need my children around. If I feel like they need social interaction (which I think is the ONLY thing daycare is good for) then I'll call up my friends and have them bring their children that I enjoy socializing with.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would never put my DD in daycare unless I absolutely HAD to. Anything she would learn there as far as academics, I can teach her. Better than they could in fact. And as far as social skills, I can teach her those too. We do play dates, go out in public etc. No need for daycare in my opinion unless absolutely necessary.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've been staying at home with my son for almost 3 years now, and I WISH he was in day care or preschool, even if it's just part time. I need it more than he does! LOL seriously though, I would welcome the "break". Even though we go to playdates once or twice a week, there is still barely any "me" time (dad works all the time, so I'm pretty much his sole caregiver).

For what it's worth, it also depends on the school or daycare. Some places can be really great, they can teach & offer your kid lots of (good) things. Then of course there are some that just take your money and don't really teach the kids how to play nicely with other another, just gives them coloring pages to work on, etc.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010