Breastfeeding lumps and pain!

I am still breastfeeding my toddler who is 17 months old. On saturday we where out all day and I didnt really feed much ( not sure if that would have anything to do with it but)... He went back to normal all the time feedings sunday monday and today but today esp I am having some really bad pain in my breast. I have a one small lump and one huge one going down the side close to my armpit. It's si sore and when the milk lets down it's painful. Is this from BF
What could cause this? Should I go to the dr.? Is there anything I could do to help the pain?? Thanks in advance and if you have anything negative to say about me still bf just dont comment:)

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like a clogged duct. Try frequent feeding/pumping and warm compresses. If it last more than 2-3 days call your doctor.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Oh girl I nursed DD until she was 26 mo old. (2 mo ago). No worries about negative comments here. Yay on BF so long! You're giving a beautiful gift to your child. As for the pain.. I agree with ButMommie - feed a lot, warm compresses... call the doc if no relief. Good luck!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It does sound like a clogged duct. Nurse that breast as often as possible, and try to nurse in such a position that his chin is pointed at the clog (lump). Watch for fever or flu like symptoms, as a clog CAN lead to mastits if it's not dislodged.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I am still nursing my almost 21 month old so good job momma! I went through the whole mastitis thing when she was around 9 months and you will know if you have it. You will get chills and a high fever. I agree and say warm compresses and maybe take a hot shower and massage it out. If you start feeling like you are getting chills and fever call your doc immediately and they will give you antibiotics.
    laurat506

Answer by laurat506 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Definately a clogged duct. Try massaging it out toward the nipple while nursing or pumping. Warm compresses, warm showers will help.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Definitely sounds like a clogged duct. Hot shower with the water running over your breast, heating up a wet washcloth and putting it on there could help too. I've heard just continuing to breastfeed usually helps a LOT...if it starts to get really tender, red, or hot to the touch, call your doctor because it may have turned into mastitis.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010