Is there anyone on here that their child loves horses but you can't afford one for them?

My daughter wants a horse soo bad yet we can't afford one. What do you do if they want one & you can't afford it?

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Horseback riding lessons?
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think almost every mother of little girls has this problem.
    Theres just some things in life that you have to tell her "sorry but no"
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son takes riding lessons/therapy. He asked me about his own horse the other day. I told him he was lucky he got to ride!! :0) No biggy. I think every child has an 'unreasonable' wish at some point in life. It builds character!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Who doesn't want one? When I was young. A man approached me and offered to trade my purple bike for his horse! I was so Excited. It couldn't happen and he was Scary. We did once get a Shetland pony for our DD's!! Somehow I always found a Way. Its a huge long story. We're not horse people! Sugar was her name! She was trouble and expensive! I guess older DD put younger DD on. Slapped Sugar's butt and She took of letting Sherri Fall! This is a secret coming out after they were older. Sugar learned from the neighbor of their horses. So Sugar would escape all the time and become a pain. Last Straw? You'll love this one! DH saw Sugar by his '55 Chevy!! She was Sharpening her Teeth on it! LOL!! Lucky that man didn't shoot her! She scratched it down to the bare metal! I found her a new safe home! Just getting her into the trailer was something I'll never Forget! You can find your DD something else she wants just as much and smaller.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Look into 4-H, where I grew up they had a project called "Horseless Project" and in my particular County those who did that project got matched up with Horse owners and got to show in a couple of classes at the 4-H show =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Everyone at some point or another wants something that they can't have.. It's a part of life.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 8:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My friend's daughter goes to horseback riding lessons. Well, she went to lessons, for about a year and a half until she got bored with it.

When I was growing up, the neighbors bought horses for their two daughters. The first 6 months or so the girls were all about taking care of them, exercising them, etc. Then they tired of them, it was a lot of work!! It was an expensive lesson learned, and they ended up selling everything at a loss (and had a small horsebarn they didn't need anymore.) The purpose of me telling you this is to explain that you shouldn't feel bad about not being able to afford a horse :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• horseback riding lessons are a great idea. also, when my sister was 12 she made a deal to work in the stables and be able to ride. she later leased the horse - but she was willing to work for it for a long time. we also went to horseback riding camp. horses are a huge expense and alot of work. scuba makes a great point
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• we can afford one, ut being military, we would have to move the poor thing every time we PCS, so it really isnt able to be dne, thoughwe do rent and ride frequently (when not Pregnant)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010