Any tips on quitting smoking?

I've cut back considerably within the past week, from a pack a day down to less than half. I've been trying to eat sunflower seeds to keep my mind off not smoking, but wondered if any of you had any tips aside from medication or that yucky OTC gum or patches. I tried the gum once but it just made me crazier and then I ended up smoking again.

mbdc

Asked by mbdc at 8:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• really the key is just making the decision and just stopping. it helps that you cut back - it will also help if you eliminate as many of the habit cigarettes as possible (last one before bed, right after eating, etc.). also, i found that rather than try to talk myself out of a cigarette it worked better to just move on to something else (i.e. when trying to talk myself out of a cigarette it was still about focusing on the cigarette)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well then...don't eat,don't ever sleep again,never have coffee again(that is just another habit too), and don't ever drive again.There,problem solved!!!! : )
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 9:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had cut back , then I just made the decision to NEVER do it again. I actually promised that I wouldn't smoke again. I don't break promises.
    Before this time, I had only stopped smoking for however long it lasted.
    A few years ago, I made the commitment to quit forever.
    I think about not wanting my kids to smoke, not wanting to die young, stink, have yellow teeth, and miss things because I am outside smoking.
    I also didn't like the way cigs controlled my life. DO I have any? When can I have another? DO the kids see me? DO I spell?
    I wish you the very best. I truely believe anyone can quit, if they take it one day at a time, or one hour at a time.
    Just don't smoke.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• p.s. if my sister can quit anyone can quit... she was a two-pack-a-day smoker for many many many years.... she set a date and quit cold turkey. she said it's much easier than everyone makes it out to be (and I agree). she quit two or three years ago at age 40 i think and now competes in triathalons...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yeah those habit ones are the ones I'm having a problem with, right after eating, before bed, one with my coffee, and one in the car.
    mbdc

Comment by mbdc (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010