Parvo

My DDs pup has parvo shes at the vet now doing extremely well, but I'm wondering after she comes home can she get parvo again? Some websites say yes, some say no she has a life long immunity to the virus is this true? I live on 5 acres, and thats going to be a LOT of bleach to the yard because I don't have the slightest idea as to were exactly shes been in the yard?

MizMzBowz

Asked by MizMzBowz at 8:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Once a dog has immunity to Parvo, it is LIFELONG immunity, but not all dogs will develope immunity. You can have the vet run a titer test to check for immunity. The Parvo virus can live in the environment for SEVERAL years so be very careful when bringing an unvaccinated dog (especially a puppy) onto your property.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well, it's possible. There are several strains of parvo just like any other virus. Bleaching you yard is for sure not a realistic option Once puppy is all better(glad he's doing so well BTW!-not always the case) I you can stat working on getting him up to date on vaccines and hopefully that will be the end of it! DO bleach all towels, bowls and toys!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• what about my couch, and things like that? Do I bleach them too?
    MizMzBowz

Comment by MizMzBowz (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• whatever you can bleach you should. carpets, furniture, walls, bedding. but i wouldnt put it on the yard. if the dog gets it's parvo shot it wont get sick again. my dog had it when he was a puppy and 3 yrs later still has a very sensative stomach. we cant give him certain kinds of food, and switching foods is really hard on him. certain treats are out of the question too. and for the time being dont be surprised if the dog is doing really well one day, and is barely alive the next. until it is completely over the illness it still may die.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Bleach will not kill parvo unless all organic matter(feces and hair) is removed, so bleaching the yard would be very hard and ineffective. If the pup survives parvo she should be fine, but do not get another pup under 1 yr old for at least 1 yr. You should limit her to a floor that is easily bleached and a small part of the yard that you can burn later for several weeks after she comes home...in case she is still shedding the virus from her system. After she receives all of her boosters for DA2PPV she should have a very strong immune response against parvo, but recurrence is not unheard of esp in bully breeds and rotties. Some pups bounce back from parvo with no long lasting effects, but often the gastro system is damaged because of the way the virus attacks the lining of the intestinal tract. I hope your puppy comes home healthy and happy soon. Good luck!

ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• once they got it they cant get it again if u live in a neighborhood inform everyone about it parvo is deadly to baby dogs and cats can get it too.. its fast spreading too. in the state i live in a vast majority of dogs die from parvo and new strands are developing every year
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The parvo that cats get isn't the same disease as what dogs get ~ it's actually Panleukopenia. The symptoms are very similar, but it's a different disease.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thanks for all the feedback I talked to the vet yesterday evening and shes doing great no runny poop no vomiting they didn't have to put a kath in and no anti poop meds or anti vomiting meds either so theys aid shes going great and as soon as she eats solid foods she gets to come home!
    MizMzBowz

Comment by MizMzBowz (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well Pumpkin is home and 100% better, shes still on antibiotics, and goes back in two wks for some boosters:)
    MizMzBowz

Comment by MizMzBowz (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010