How can I get my 2 year old weaned and falling asleep in his own bed??

I have a 2 year old son whom I've been trying to wean from mama's milk for awhile now. I cannot pump enough to fill up even half of a sipy cup. But, somehow he's still getting some outta there. I'm sure he's just wanting it for comfort now. This is the only way I can get him to sleep most nights. He will not just fall asleep on his own. If I don't give into him he tends to throw a tantrum until I do. Has anyone else experienced this?? What did you do to resolve these issues?? I'm DESPERATE!!

Please Help!!

thanks:)

mom2jaydendc

Asked by mom2jaydendc at 2:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am right there with you. My son is 28 months and still nursing. I have to nurse him to nap and to bed. Then he goes to sleep in his bed.....but at 3am he is awake and in bed with us. He nurses on and off the rest of the night once he is in bed with us. I love co-sleeping and I love nursing, but I really need some sleep. We are working on getting him to stay in bed later and later--but it is taking a long time.. As far as going to sleep without nursing, my son will go to bed for my mom with no problem. He will also go to sleep for my husband if I "disappear" for a little while. at bed time. Maybe if you have your SO try to put him to bed he would go without nursing. It might be three or four nights of crying and tantrums but in the end he might get the idea. I know that is what we had to do to get my son to go to bed for daddy. It is not easy, and we are not al the way there--but getting better.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• The longer you wait the harder it will be. Your child will probably pitch a fit, but it only takes a couple of days to set a routine. He will pitch a fit and it will be extremely difficult for a few days/weeks, but you must stay consistent. Change up his routine, and stay stick to it. If he crawls into your bed, take him back to his own. My SIL has her 7 year old daughter STILL sleeping with her, and her husband sleeps in the guest room now. Co-sleeping is great, but sometimes you have to think if it's for you or your child. Good luck!
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 10:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2008