raising arms above head

I was told to not raise my arms above my head during pregnancy because it will cause the umbilical cord to get wrapped around the baby's neck. Is there any truth to this or is it an old wives tale?

cmcook89

Asked by cmcook89 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• not true at all

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• not even a possibility...no way no how....btw babies get their cords around their necks all the time and are just fine....my DD's was around her neck 2x and she is perfect....dont worry about it : )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• it can be possible not sayin that it is or isnt..but my god sister use to have to do inventory at her job so she did a lot of lifting above her head..when she went into labor they discovered the umbilical cord wrapped around her son neck 2 or 3 times not sure of the xact number...every since then she hasnt lift any thing with the last 3..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• old wives tale. it wraps around their neck plenty all through out the pregnancy but they move around so much it doesnt matter. to be born like that is all in the way the baby way moving before she decided to come out
    drdavenport

Answer by drdavenport at 8:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• it's an old wives tale. it's like the one that crossing your legs will suffocate the baby. just really no way possible.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I believe its an old wives tale or else the dr's would be the ones telling us not to do it.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is my understanding that doing something with you arms raised over your head for any length of time can cause issues with your blood pressure and dizziness.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• old wives tale
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was told the same thing but it's just an old wives tale.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 1:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010