How do I get Grant/Financial assistance with out the run around

A year ago I left my marriage of 15 years. I have my 2 youngest (I have 3 total) with me 51% of the time. I was taking care of myself and kids for 5 months but lost my job, then my car, then summer vacation came and I had to stay home to take care of the kids (living with my mother now )...

A friend (now ex friend) told me about a friend of theirs they helped research grants. They said their friend applied for 7 grants and received 1 in 31 days and another 6 months later. Together the grants totaled $120,000.00... NOW I am not expecting to find that kind of financial aid but help is greatly needed and I have been told that I can get grants/financial aid for school and bills and living expenses. I am about to start work (God willing) first goal is a car.

I don't get child support (wasn't worth the fight)

Till I start work I am in need of money for food and toiletries (I don't qualify for Food Stamps)

Please Help

lvnonfth_34

Asked by lvnonfth_34 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know of any programs that you will qualify for if you don't qualify for food stamps. I have never heard of programs that just hand out cash for people.. Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• go to local college an talk to a finacial advisor they were the ones who did mine..or local library...they have a lot of books with different grants an funding you dont have to pay back an ones that u pay back accordng to your income..
    my grants i did were by writitng essays..
    i got one for being the 1st in my family to go to college..1 for being left handed..i know crazy but they are real grants..u just have to reasearch..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i would have to agree with pp. the colleges will help you out and so will the people at the library to. i am currently in the process of getting back into school to.
    Traci1979

Answer by Traci1979 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010