Should a 13 y/o be medicated for anxiety?

I am concerned with my 13 y/o and his possible anxiety. We have an appointment with his doctor tomorrow to talk about it, but I think he has an anxiety problem. I, myself, have anxiety and am medicated. I didn't start medication until I was about 28 but I wish I had been medicated a lot earlier. I just wonder if it is common or a good idea to start medication at 13 y/o. I would love some insight into this by other mother's!

MaximusMommy

Asked by MaximusMommy at 8:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My son is 6 and is medicated for anxiety. I see nothing wrong with medicine as long as it is truly needed. Good luck!
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my dd has been on aniexty meds since 8..she really needed them she had bad panic attacks...along with bi polar,adhd...i was worried at first that she was tooo young but she needed it an im glad that she got them..i saw such a huge difference...if u an him both think he needs it..do it..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Have you tried counseling first? If medication is needed, I would monitor the medication closely.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't see why not. I have had anxiety all my life and didn't get meds until I was about 22 - I bet my life would have been a lot different if I had been diagnosed earlier.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is nice to hear that it isn't uncommon! I am going to ask about counceling too. I think my life would have been a lot different had I been medicated earlier too!
    MaximusMommy

Comment by MaximusMommy (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was 7 when they first medicated me (for depression). And I don't feel it was the best option for me. However, I have a 4yo with an anxiety issue, and while we are FIRST exploring other avenues of treatment if those other options don't hold any answers for him, I would consider medication. I don't like medication, I have a list (trust me it's a list) of "ailments" and remain unmedicated today... However, I would never deny my child a better life or a different option if if came down to it. I would advise you to look in to other options - nutrition is a huge one... But if medication seems to be your best option at this point, I wouldn't say no... I would simply say, NEVER deny your child the option of a better quality of life. Just do your homework on the medications and continue to look for new and better options.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Not necessarily. My son has issues with anxiety and has since he was 5 (now 14) and he has never been medicated. Sometimes, behavioral therapy works just fine. Sometimes, the anxiety is so bad that meds are needed. It depends on what is best for the child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• here's my thought- I was medicated that young as as a adult regret it since I now do chinese medicine/acupuncture for it, works much better and is safer for my body.
    that's what I would recommend.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• mine has been since he was 6..soo.... yeah if they need it, fer sure
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2010