Care to give some support?

I grounded my son from tv because of what he did at after school care today. He normally gets to watch tv for 30 minutes before bed time and he is upstairs crying now. This is the first time I have ever really had to ground him like this and it is killing me. I know I need to be strong and not give in. Please, mommas, I need some encouragement right now.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• aww... you'll get better at not feeling bad as time goes on... just remember that you are doing it for his own good!
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• he needs guidance and discipline not tv. you would only be hurting him by not giving him that. he is not being harmed in any way by not being allowed to watch tv. stay strong! it's worth it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I guess this is so hard for me because that 30 minutes is our cuddle time. We normally read a few books and then watch a little bit of tv. I went up there to read him his books and cuddle and he doesn't want to. He is still upset with me.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I know, it is hard!! But you just have to keep thinking that if you want him to make changes he has to realize there are consequences for his actions.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• When you tell a child he has a punishment you really have to give one you can and will stick to or they will know your just bluffing. You have to say what you mean, and mean what you say. It's hard, but that's what you have to do and then they learn from their mistakes.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• he is not gonna die from not watching tv. maybe next time he will follow the rules. don't give in this time or he will never take you seriously.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You have to be consistent with what you said or he will walk all over you. Whatever he did obviously was not acceptable so follow through with it. Him being upset will pass, he will most likely think twice before he does it again. When you put him to bed just explain why you punished him and that his behavior is what put him there and explain that he needs to think about apologizing and tell him you love him and if he is still upset let him sleep on it. There will be plenty more of this to come so now is a good time to toughen up with it.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Trust me if he is crying now he will remember and work harder on behaving. Stick to it you can do this.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well the 30 min. TV loss will not kill him. Next time he will think twice of his behavior in the after school care program if its worth it or not. Just hang in there he is in no danger and physical harm. Good luck !!!
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010