What could ever make it ok for a parent to ABANDON THEIR CHILDREN?

IS THERE EVER A "GOOD ENOUGH EXCUSE?"

IF SO... WHAT IS IT?

MAKEMYDAY101

Asked by MAKEMYDAY101 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have an acquaintance who signed away the rights to her 3 children because of an addiction to heroin. It's very sad, but she knew it was best for the kids. Life doesn't always go as planned for everyone.....

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I guess it depends on a person definition of abandon. If a child is stung out on drugs and isnt willing to change..A parent needs to not enable them..that means by not allowing them to stay with them and not giving them money etc..Some may say this is abandonment..I say it is what the child needs(this "child" may be of age too..)
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• all i can think of is my dad was very in to drugs and i saw him but never met him i didnt need that but i still miss him and wish i could havemeet him at least once! no reason is good enough but thats a okay reason
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 9:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• What do you mean by abandon?
    If you mean abandoning their child at home and not caring, nothing.

If you mean giving up for adoption, that's a whole other story.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 9:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I guess it depends on the situation... Some children are better off without a specific person in their lives, if that's the case and the parent knows it, then sure, I would say that's not a bad reason. My father for example, every child he has ever walked away from has been benefited by him leaving, I think at this point he has caught on to that and simply walks away before they are born... Ideally he would quit breeding, but so far that hasn't happened.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Child abandonment may be defined as the decision by a child's parent to have no role in the child's life, by failing to communicate with the child, support the child financially, or have any physical contact with the child. To meet the legal definition of abandonment, the child in question must under the age of 18, and the parent must have legal custody of the child, and desert the child with the intent to abandon.

MAKEMYDAY101

Comment by MAKEMYDAY101 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would never in amillion years abandon/disown my child however my mother did abandon me. I never knew why, never could imagine leaving my dauhgter and not knowing how her life is. I wish somethimesI could see my mom, call her , get on her nerves etc... when I see mothers and their children together Im like wow I wish that was me and my mom. I have no clue where she is she has never met my daughter let alone her other grand kids. Its so sad and I always wonder why??? If I ever see her again I will ask her why and how could she do such a thing to her children. If and when she dies we wont even know, hell I dont even know if shes still alive. So its not just dead beat dads theres dead beat moms out in the world too. I would like some closure.
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If the parent is not going to be there for the child, if they are not good for the child's well-being. Hopefully, they would find a proper family for the child but, having the bio-parents around is not always best for a child. Like someone else said adoption is NOT abandonment.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well, I guess you could consider what my real dad did abandonment. Him and my mother divorced when I was around 2, and then, due to his drinking and inability to keep his hands off little girls (and we are talking under 10 years old here) he spent much of my childhood behind bars. Then, once I turned 12, he FINALLY signed over his rights in an attempt to not have to pay for me anymore (no more support). It didn't quite work out the way he wanted, since he was well over $20,000 behind. So, he still has to pay. But, if my choices were him "abandoning" me, or sticking around and continuing to victimze me, I would choose abandonment ever time.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• honestly, I think a good enough reason is whatever reason they gave. Seriously, why would anyone want a parent to be a part of a childs life if that person has no desire to do so?
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010