Flat feet??

My son is 18months and has flat feet. His dr has either never noticed or didn't think they were anything to worry so never mentioned it. My boyfriend and his sister think its something I need to be worried about & that I need to take him to a specialist to get it corrected & say that is the reason he falls down so much. I will bring it up to his dr at his next appt which is next month but is it something I need to really worry about or will it correct itself on its own?

Dabugg698

Asked by Dabugg698 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter barely has an arch. She will be getting orthotics soon to correct the problem. She tends to roll her feet and walk on the inside of them (pronation). It tends to make her a little clumsy. She has low muscle tone, so the orthotics will straighten her feet while strengthening the muscles. If she was to keep walking like that, she'd eventually have joint problems. My daughter's pediatrician never noticed it, but then again, she's only seen her once since she started walking. It was her physical therapist who noticed something just wasn't right. You may want to bring it up, just to be on the safe side. If you're not happy with the answer from the doctor, seek a second opinion. Better to be safe than sorry.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 3:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Toddlers feet dont' have visible arches. That area is filled with a fat pad that will disappear by the time he enters school. To be safe - bring it up at his next appointment but I doubt there is a problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• my son has flat feet as so does his father.. ive been told that its nothing to really worry about but if i wanted i can get arch supporting shoes from stride right but that its not going to correct the prolem it will only help while hes wearing them
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think it'd be wise to discuss it with your doctor. But, I also think you shouldn't worry. I've read that babies appear to not have arches because they have extra fat on the bottoms of their feet, the extra fat will eventually go away and you'll see the arch.
    newmommyrae

Answer by newmommyrae at 8:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2008