how hard is it to listen to your child learn to read?

A true test of patience! (I'm gonna pull my hair out! )

stepho345

Asked by stepho345 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This question made me stop and think. I am going to be more patient and a better listener. She is so very important.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:34 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• my oldest is reading now. i think it is amazing! What can frustrate me is when he needs to write, and doesn't want to sound out the words.
    i may have a harder time with my second son.
    i was also told that when i am reading to him, i should make mistakes...just to show that it happens, and it is ok.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It may be frustrating and you want to jump in and help them, but they need to learn this with your help and encouragement. They are so proud when they can accomplish this milestone as well! Good Luck!!
    Michelleb05

Answer by Michelleb05 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• How old is the child and is it a boy or a girl? Just curious. Hang in there, Mama. It'll get better and he/she will get the hang of it!
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 9:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Boy almost 7. Boy o boy! Lol
    stepho345

Comment by stepho345 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• sometimes it can be frustrating to watch them learn new things, but it is so awesome to see their reaction when they finally master it! just be patient & supportive! good luck!
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It is frustrating but fun at the same time to watch them grow and learn. You can jump in and help at any point if they are not doing well. If you help them with the hard words and try to show them an easier way of learning they will hopefully pick up things faster.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 9:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Just be patient. Give your child a few seconds when he stops or stumbles on a word to see if he can get it, or if he says he can't figure the word out, then help him. But let him read the words he knows and praise him on his reading. It is tough for many kids grasp. If your child is having problems reading (which I don't know if that's the case or not - just saying) Hooked on Phonics is an excellent learning tool. I got it for my daughter and it really helped her out early on. Hang in there. It'll get better. When it does you and your child will feel like you've accomplished something.
    LanaJanesMom

Answer by LanaJanesMom at 2:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I remember my sister learing to read (8 yrs difference) and OMG did I just want to take things from her and read them for her!!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:15 AM on Sep. 30, 2010