Bunions and Hammertoes

So I have a bunion in my left foot (which is now causing a hammertoe in the toe adjacent to the big toe) and when I went to the podiatrist he said there's nothing he can do for it. What?!?! I've been wearing the little sponge thing between my toes at home (the one they gave me at the dr.'s office), but is there nothing else to be done? I'm going to see my regular dr. Friday. I guess I'll ask her then.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 9:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• i've been getting a bunion for a while and got one of those little gel pac thingies and keep it between my toes all the time - it has helped quite a bit. i can't get into the podiatrist for at least a month and a half. i went to my regular doc who didn't have much to say except something about possibly lasering it down whatever that means. just keep using the separator for now... wear flat shoes
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Can you wear the separator with shoes though? Flat, wide shoes is all I can wear in the winter. Right now I've been wearing flip flops and crocs.
    zboys

Comment by zboys (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had and still have bunions in both feet, however mine are hereditary. Plus I have had them since birth, due to bones being in the wrong spots, they are kind of flip flopped. Anyways, I had surgery on mine. The one turned out fairly well, the other wasn't such a success....but that was also somewhat my fault. But if they are severe and causing a lot of pain the surgery can be done. Can you go to a different podiatrist? Oh, and 10 years ago when I had the surgery I think it was around $5000, but was completely covered under insurance. No clue what that would run now.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i have some flat sandals with open fronts so i can wear them with those - sometimes people look at my feet funny but i don't care - i'm not going to be in pain for fashion. i haven't tried closed toe shoes yet - we'll see - but i think it'll fit okay as long as my shoes are the right size - i tend to buy shoes with a little toe room anyway as i hate not being able to move my toes
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2010