What do you know about having surgery to remove addnoids?

I think I am spelling that correctly.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• I had mine out when I was 8 years old (we are talking 28 years ago). I had frequent ear infections that required tubes to be put in my ears. After I had my adenoids removed, I did not have any more issues with ear infections.

I did not suffer from any lasting issues. While I remember that there was some pain, it was not intolerable or unmanageable by tylenol. My biggest irritation at the time was that I had to sit out of gym class for a week so I could completely heal.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my son had his tonsils and adenoids removed last december.. it was a pretty quick procedure, and usually done as outpatient. Although my son had to spend 1 night because he was having his removed for sleep apnea and they wanted to monitor his sleeping the first night. He was sent home on antibiotics and pain meds...he was eating mac & cheese in the hospital about an hour out of recovery. It took him about 2 weeks to start eating completely normal again.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My son had it done. You get same day surgery under anesthesia. It really helps you sleep better and not be so congested.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had my adenoids out when I was little. Outpatient procedure, same as ear tubes (I got those a lot...hence the adenoid removal). A couple of hours of recovery, and then you go home. It helped me tremendously; I haven't had another ear infection in the 20 years since.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had mine out when I was six and my son just got his taken out this summer. For me, I got a really bad infection in my tonsils that spread to my adenoids, so they took it all out. For him, he had an infection in his tonsils at the time (so they came out too) and he had tubes in at the time (that were also removed). The doc told me there was a slime chance that they could tear the vocal cords, but ts was extremely rare for that to happen. It took about an hour for the surgery (cause he had all that stuff taken out) and another hour and a half for him to recover. Only problem we had was him not wanting to take any meds. But, we always have trouble with him taking meds, so that wasn't anything new. It's a fairly common procedure and doesn't really take to long to recover from.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010