Groceries

What tips/tools do you use to keep your grocery bill down?

mag12305cmg

Asked by mag12305cmg at 9:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• i like to sit down and write out a menu of what i will be cooking for the week ahead. so when i do go grocery shopping i only spend money on the things i need off my list and wont be putting the whole store in my buggy. seems to work for me
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• don't shop hungry for one thing- sounds simple, but it works for me.

bagged store brand frozen veggies helps.
    Eggs for breakfast is another idea.

BTW- do you put plastic on your windows when it gets cold? that often saves us 25- 50 percent depending.

good luck!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Coupons! Last week I saved 20% of my total bill by using coupons. But you still have to look because sometimes the generic is still cheaper.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I buy the staples - eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt,fruit and veggies pretty consistantly.

Then I buy whatever is on sale at a good price, particularly if I have coupons. I stock up with sale prices of things like canned veggies, dry pasta, some frozen stuff, etc.

Then I decide what meals I can make using what I have. It isn't too hard because I have my stock of perishable staples and stash of staples I can store. If I want to make something special or unusual I can do it if we have the money for it.

Soon I will buy a few bushels of apples and make a couple pies, lots of applesauce for the freezer, etc.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 10:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I get teh sunday paper and cut coupons. There is also a spot in our public library for the coupons others didn't want....you just have to look through them. I sometimes get onto couponsuzy.com and print coupons out I know I will use. But I also shop at a discount grocery store, where some things are close to expiration. I can get an entire cart full for between $80-$100....instead of like $200 or more!! That includes dairy, meat and fresh fruit and veggies. I buy when things are on big time sale too. Like this week there was that new Total cereal for $1 a box at Walmart, I bought 10 boxes of it, usually it's 3.88. Or I use generic for some things too.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I buy cheap basic foods and work around that. I always have cheap canned tomatoes, frozen veggies, chicken and ground beef. I add little stuff around that. I can always make something with the foods i have on hand.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Coupons, or shopping at stores like Aldi rather than big name grocery stores, and I agree, don't shop hungry! I read somewhere that if you only shop the exterior isles of the stores, you shop healthier and cheaper. Its things up and down the middle isles that we don't need, can't afford or are just not healthy. Think about it! :-)
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 11:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I do OAMC. I plan the meals I'm going to make based on what's on sale, so I save double by both buying in bulk & on special. The extra meals I make & put in the freezer for the future means I need to buy less later at full price. For example, I just bought 12 lbs of premium ground meat on special for less than the cheap stuff was regular price, plus neccesary ingredients & I made 4 meatloafs & 6 shepard's pies, which use some of the same ingredients, for about $37. That works out to about $3.70 per meal and each meal feeds 3 adults & one teen. This includes the sides.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Coupons, sales and going for store brands.
    jennbelcheravon

Answer by jennbelcheravon at 11:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I do the same as Jbond83- make a weekly meal-plan and write down the ingredients needed. A lot of times you'll find you have everything you need but a couple of items! I shop at Aldi as well-- SO much cheaper and the food isn't much different, if at all. The reason they are able to keep low prices is because they go the extra mile to save on whatever they can.
    I make large dinners for my husband and me every night from scratch and for a weeks worth of groceries I only spend $40-50, which is GREAT. Aldi is a life-saver!
    Oh, make enough food to have leftovers for lunch. Only buy a small variety of snacks.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010