Toddler's flat feet?

My son is 18months and has flat feet. His dr has either never noticed or didn't think they were anything to worry so never mentioned it. My boyfriend and his sister think its something I need to be worried about & that I need to take him to a specialist to get it corrected & say that is the reason he falls down so much. I will bring it up to his dr at his next appt which is next month but is it something I need to really worry about or will it correct itself on its own?

Dabugg698

Asked by Dabugg698 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Health

• Toddlers have flat feet. You don't get an arch to your foot until later.

"In infants and toddlers, the longitudinal arch is not developed and flat feet are normal." http://www.mamashealth.com/foot/flatfeet.asp
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I thought his feet were fine...but everyone tells me otherwise. I just figured my son was still learning & well..took after me which is why he fell so much. Thank you!!
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I dont think its anything to worry about, but it never hurts to mention it to the doc..even if just to ease your mind.
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 3:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Toddlers always have flat feet. They have an extra layer of fat on the soles of their feet. It should go away. Have you ever read 'Baby's First Year?' They mention flat feet in there. Anyway, its normal.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I'm sorry but the minute I read this I laughed! Not at you but at what your bf and his sister is saying! I have flat feet myself...and I can personally tell you there's nothing wrong with being flat footed...it just means you don't have the arch like most people and if you don't take care of your feet you could have serious foot problems! It also has nothing to do with him falling!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2008