can anyone give me advice on what to do to help my five year old with adhd?

momof4kids234

Asked by momof4kids234 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• research the feingold plan. It eliminates things like certain preservatives and artificial colors. I can tell you some of that stuff but I am not sure what all of it is. What they eat is KEY in helping with ADHD.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• 1. has he been diagnosed?
    2. Regardless, I believe most children need schedules, limits, boundaries, repetition, and consistency. So, work on that for sure.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• All of what txdaniella said and EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE. Vigorous running type of exercise.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Structure, structure, structure. Create a check list sheet on the fridge. Use pictures if he is not reading yet. Put all the things on there he needs to do in a day. i laminated mine at staples and bought magnets for him to place over the boxes as he completed the task. It helps him know what he needs to do. Like brush your teeth, pick up toys, etc,.... I also run him out a couple of times a day. Before preschool he runs sprints in the back yard and again when he gets home. And maybe again int he evening if he gets too crazy. We also talk early in the day about what we will be doing that day, since he doesn't deal well with spontainous plans. I also use a kitchen timer that he can see counting down to help him transition from one activity to another. Like when the timer goes off, so does the TV, or its time to go to bed, or whatever. We have had a huge drop in meltdowns since we have implamented these changes.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• feingold method helps, but if your child has been diagnosed the doctor should be there for what works with children with adhd. They need structure & a reward system that they can see(like a small sticker chart). When they stick to a task & finish they get a sticker.
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 10:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Routine and consistancy and diet wise low sugar.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• There are several things that should be removed from diet: HFCS (soon to be known as corn sugar), artificial dyes & colors, caffeine, excess sugars including fruit juice. You should also take him to an allergist & ask for a Food Panel RAST test for IgG antibodies to see if there are any food sensitivities. Food sensitivities can reek all sorts of havoc internally. Most go undiagnosed because they do not manifest as traditional allergies.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son has a DX and has had for a few years. It really runs in our family. We use boundaries and he really had no problems at home. It wasn't till it started to affect school that we decided to start med. This is a personal choice for us. It is not the right choice for everyone.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Get on the internet.That is a wealth of information.I would cut out his sugar intake and feed him alot of low fat foods.Maybe even get with a nutritionist.I hope this helps.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2010