Tips are kept NOT shared.

I saw a recent tipping gripe (well deserved!!!!!) This poster was a waitress for 2.19 per hour. That is something. Not everyone tips. If it were anyone out to cart food to and from tables getting orders, and putting those orders to the chef, going back and getting the tables right, and sometimes placing settings, than it should be madatory to keep the tips. I worked in a place where the waitresses would give the cash to the table "setters," / clearers, and it was like a lot of their earnings. I don't understand except for it being near a busy intersection and customer turnover was huge. Only thing was it was nearly impossible to get to. (for work) I'd never waitress again. Not unless welfare made up the difference. not looking to make friends here, so have at the bashing, it's a free site.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I am not quite understanding what you are talking about.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I also waitressed for $2.33 and hour, sometimes the tips were great, other times they were nonexistent. I also had to tip the bar and the bussers. I really liked my job!!! I've said this before, but I totally think every person who eats in a restaurant should have to waitress at least one shift to see what it's really like.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No idea what you are trying to ask. But I know that some restaurants do require their waitstaff to share tips with busboys. But the waitstaff receives the biggest portion of the tip.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm not quite sure what you are getting at question wise or if its just a rant but the waitress is the one that does all of the work so why wouldnt they keep the tips? I worked at a resturant where all of the tips went in a pot together and at the end of the shift they were divided equally among the waitresses but they also had a counter and pick up window that usually didnt get tips and they all had to take turns between the tables and and the pick up window.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was a server, and I still don't know what you are saying.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• As it stated .....Tips are kept NOT shared. Other post had commented that her tips had to go toward the busser crew, and give them 15% of theri own hard earned tipping which was legally and truly those waitresses money. They were told that they were to pay us that amount of their tipping fees.

TIPS are kept NOT shared. other staff crew should get money and the restaurant businesses shouldn't be in business at all if it isn't for the waitresses tips money. My trainer told me this was the way the business was run. Stupid really. I say if you can't run a business without slavery than a business isn't a business, it's slavery.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you don't know than why don't you just read it more than once or twice, until you understand, that is what i do. Why is that so hard for so many people, yet I can always do this no matter how long or complicated their posts are.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• That may be true, the way you see it - that is how I see it too. When the waitress makes 2.13/hr (which is the standard around here) she still has to "tip out" the busboys, the host and the bartender - even if they didn't sell any alcohol that night. The bartender makes 6/hr, the hosts and busboys make min wage...

I've even known of a few places that required "tip pooling" - why, if I am providing stellar service and getting awesome tips, should I have to share it with someone who did a crappy job and didn't make the good money?

Unfortunately, that's how a lot of businesses run now...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sorry, but Tips are NOT KEPT in every situation. And a bus boy working below minimum where the waitstaff does NOT bus or set their own table deserves to be tipped. And why don't the deserve to be tipped? Why should the waitstaff keep the entire tip when they aren't doing the entire job?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• When I go in to a new restaurant, my first question (before I even sit) is "Do your servers' split or share tips." If they do, I leave. I worked as a server $2.83/hr. I worked my ass off to make sure my customers got the best possible experience, and I made tips that reflected that. Other servers weren't quite as attentive as they could have been, and their tips reflected it... Where I worked we did not share tips, I would never work for some place like that. I believe if you are a good server, you should earn a tip to reflect it, but if you aren't you shouldn't. And a good server shouldn't make less because other servers aren't any good and visa versa... As for having to "tip out" to food runners, table setters or busboys, I'm generally against it because they are making a full wage a server isn't. However, if the food runner is delivering all the food, I don't see sharing as a bad thing, they are doing half the work...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010