Who has a stubborn pet that you just have to keep repeating yourself the same command?

He will follow the command but then 10 seconds later I have to repeat myself. Like lay down or sit... eventually he will learn stay! We are working on that one but in the meantime he seems stubborn or he just has an extremely short memory!!

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I never repeat a command because they will learn that command is not sit but sit, sit, sit. If I give them a command and they either ignore or do it but then lay down I tell them wrong and then will ask. But with every command I do lengthen the time between the command given and the release word so that they will do it for longer periods. It is rare that I have to repeat myself.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• First, we don't command animals to do things. They all have their own minds. Some breeds don't respond to certain types of training, if they aren't intereted they don't always respond. I have had a lot of dogs but very rarely did I have one that would sit very long. lol
    Using positive re enforcements like treats and hugs helps. I notice too, younger dogs don't want to listen. My Daisy is getting better with age, more calm and obedient.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Our dogs always follow us around, but I always have to say quiet. They bark at every new noise.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010