How do you organize mail?

DH and I have been having the battle of the mail. For years, unopened mail just got shoved to the side dealt with when it was convenient and sometimes important things were missed. Having our newborn in the hospital has changed this to the point where he just opens all the mail, even mine... but I miss opening the mail! I've mentioned it to him but he contends that unless we have a system in place, the most effective method is for him to open it all, even stuff that I want (though he does save birthday cards and the like for me).

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 10:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I open all bills and hang them on the side of the fridge in the order of needing to be paid. I put SO's mail in a pile for him to take care of. I open my mail and decide what to do with it then. I also throw all junk mail away asap!

I do this about every 3 days when I get the mail out of the mailbox. We live a ways away from the road and our mailbox is located on the roadside. This is a highly traveled road, so only pick up the mail every 2 or 3 days and never when it is dark.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I hate opening the mail. If it's not a bill, it's junk mail and solicitations for credit cards or advertisements. My Dh thinks he's the only one who can pay the bills so I don't know what's going on-It's all paid online now anyway, so the "paper" bills coming through the mail are just a pain (and killing lots and lots of trees!) Anyway, when I DO do the bills, I use a folder. For example I have a medical folder with all medical bills and organize them by amount. I highlight the account number and amount on each making it easier. Plus, when they come in, you can quickly cross-reference and see if you already have that one on file. It helps when the bills start coming in after you have a baby!! Good Luck!
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2010