Have you ever ran out of dog food? What have you fed your dogs prior to making it to the store to buy more?

We ran out and we live in the country. I thought SO was getting some and he thought I was getting some. Extremely poor communication on our part. We wound up running to the gas station and buying an extremely expensive small bag of dog food for the dogs but I was thinking about cooking up a pound of venison burger for them and mixing some vegies in with it. What have you fed your dogs when you have run out of food?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pets

• I make dog soup! I take all leftovers or what ever you have in the pantry the kiids won't eat (not fruit) and put in pan,cook over med heat, heat through and cool . Serve. DH has come in and wondered what's for dinner lol dog soup baby! I've added rice and egg when there is not too much soup to go around. I have big dogs:)
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Leftovers from the fridge.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• cheese
    hot dogs
    lunch meat
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• venison would be good to I think it's really low in fat. I would mix with rice to just to cut the grease even more and make it more filling.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• oooh! They will LOVE venison! That won't be too tough on the tummy either. I've done chicken, hot dogs, ground beef, turkey, roast beef, scrambled eggs, potatoes.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Pasta, rice w/ meat, tuna fish, bread, veges. Any type of left overs that aren't too greasy. Do you have any regular dog treats that you can feed them? My dogs especially loved the pasta but watch out if they're sloppy eaters! Red sauce is a pain to get off the walls and a white dog. lol
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• 2 cups preferably whole wheat flour(any kind)
    1/2 c corn meal
    3T oil(lard,shortening,vegatable,bacondrippings,whatever
    2/3 c liquid(water,chicken brothn whatever u have)
    1 egg
    Can add blenderized leftoversand reduce amount of liquid. Mix dry ing. Ad d egg. Add oil. Add liquid. Blend by hand, or by mixer on lowest speed. (Hand is easier) roll out dough.it says use metal cookie cuters, I use plastic. Bake on ungreased cooky sheets. 350 degrees for 30-45 min. Makes about 15 3" cookies.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I ran out of food today, so I was racking my brain as to what to feed the pupp.
    I'd feed her shredded chicken not seasoned and veggies.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Let cool and air dry for 24 hrs before starting to dry and harden, otherwise they will become moldy. They can be stored in the freezer for months. Food coloring can be added for seasonal variety. Freashly baked biscuts can. Be eaten by humans as is.
    Stale biscuts need to be dunked in your fave warm beverage. You and your dog. Will love them.
    Do not bake 2 trays on different levels of the oven the bottom one will burn!
    Cookies can touch on tray as some willl shrink a lil.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Lunchmeat, hotdogs or I cook up some type of meat like chicken.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010