Anyone else sick of dealing with Stink Bugs?

I live in Maryland and we are dealing with a horrible Stink Bug problem statewide this year. I thought they were beetles from this new tree/bush that my neighbor planted and then I saw all the news coverage and I finally knew what the heck these ugly brown bugs were that I kept finding in my house.

Last week I found over 30 in my sons bedroom. They were all inside the pleats of his curtains. I have killed (flushed) 5 more tonight, and now I am becoming obsessed with searching for them.

Anyone else fighting the good fight?

Maureen-MD

Asked by Maureen-MD at 10:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No stink bugs, but we get the occassional water bugs crawling around. Maybe you could try some bug repellent around the outside of your home?
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yep, this is our 3rd year dealing with them in PA, and this is the worst year we've for them, too. My son likes to crush them with a vengeance when he finds them outside & he inspects his bedroom every night before he lies down for the night. When I find them in the house, I spray them a 75/25 combo of Murphy's Oil Soap & water, which drops them fast. It's almost instant death for the little buggers & it's cheaper than flushing every single bug. You can use regular dish soap, too, but it doesn't seem to work as well. We figured out that the Murphy's Oil would kill them purely by accident b/c I don't normally use the stuff. It was my Dad who was cleaning up at his house & he sprayed one, which dropped dead almost immediately, so we've all been doing it & it really seems to work.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes,I also live in MD and have seen many around the house lately. I will be trying mom2aspclboy's little concoction, thanks for that!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Windex kills most bugs, but they "spray/stink" when frightened, so I use a cup to catch them and then I flush them. I usually flush several of the bugs at a time.

I barely slept last night because there was one on my ceiling over my bed, and I couldn't go to sleep with it sitting over me like that, and it was unreachable to catch and dispose of
    Maureen-MD

Comment by Maureen-MD (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You know, I must be really lucky....everyone I know is having a horrible problem with them, and I know that in my state they say they are a huge problem this year, but I have not seen one yet. *knock on wood*
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• the poor bugs i cant believe you killed them! they are pretty much mindless and technically they were on earth first! i capture our insects and toss them out again.. i love all living creatures even the sometimes annoying kind.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Kitty Katt......sorry, I gave them a fighting chance. I flushed them alive. So if they know how to swim, then they might have lived. I am not going to toss them back outside where they can just find their way back in. Unless they want to pay me rent, they need to stay outdoors where they belong, but you invade my territory, then you must be evicted in the only manner I know of that doesn't = stinky.

i know alot of people that have vacuumed them up, but then they have to deal with the stink they cause
    Maureen-MD

Comment by Maureen-MD (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• In Philly it is a problem! I don't like killing insects, but st the same time I don't want them flying in my window while I'm driving. Kinda freaks me out. They keep finding their way into my building at work. Ewww. As long as they don't come anywhere near to touching me, we can be cool. From a distance.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Bugs of ANY kind freak me out!! We haven't had that problem this year (MI). Constantly worry about the bedbug scare though! :-/
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2010