question for people that know about contacts (for your eyes)

i have contacts, they are the disposable after 30 day kind..however i never wear them...i have a pair opened, i think i wore them 1-2 times, they are in the solution, obviously...but they have been opened for a few months now..but because i havent worn them for 30 days..are they still safe to wear?? so i guess my question is...does the 30 days expire after i take them out of the ORIGINAL package?? or after i have worn them 30 times??

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• Yes, you can still wear them. The 30 day rule only applies to actually wearing the lenses. The protiens in your eyes will cause the lens to deteriorate, the saline will not. However, saline does evaporate. I have left lenses in solution for too long and then gone back and found that the solution was gone and all I had was a hard brittle unusable lens
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It is usually after the wear and tear on them that you dispose of them. I can sometimes wear mine up to 2 months and then others it's only 2 weeks.

Try them out, if they irritate your eyes, get a new pair.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I am sorry and sad to say, that I have no idea b/c I do not wear the. However, my husband does, but he cannot wear those disposable kind b/c he wears them for something called Caracatonis? (sp) something to do with the cornea of your eye. Sorry about that
    KelseyG

Answer by KelseyG at 10:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm supposed to change mine every 2 weeks. I wear them until they are no longer comfortable. I have made 1 pair last a year. About once a week I add SupraClens drops to the case. It's an enzyme drop to remove deposits. Works great.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010