Was it hard for you and family to learn one or even more of your children were autistic?

How did you guys learn to deal with it.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 10:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• For us, although something like that is never really "easy", I think we were more relieved to find out what exactly was going on with our son. My son was diagnosed in the 90's, after nearly 2 years of fighting with the doctors to get a diagnosis. Once we knew what it was, we had the job of figuring out how to deal with it.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• you dont learn to deal with it, you have to accept it, and thats hard for lots of people to do. its a never ending process, we are always trying to make his life happier as for others if thay cant love my child as he is, i dont wont them in our life.
    pattie14

Answer by pattie14 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I know many parents who were relieved to finally get the Dx; it is more difficult "not knowing" what is going on with your child from what I hear.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 9:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• When my son was diagnosed I felt relief-- as I finally had an answer on why he was 'different'. Once we knew what it was then we were able to understand why he would act the way he did, did the things he did. We were able to get help for him at school (with an IEP), and learned that he has his own way of doing things, sometimes he needs to have tasks broken down so he does not get overwhelmed by the 'big picture' of it, and sometimes we have to make adjustments to help accommodate him.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No I meant learning to deal with this as in new ways to raise a autistic kid now since more avg parenting guides don't cover this. I know I go to parent groups and ask as many questions as I can to his teachers and therapist.
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think I understand what you are asking and, at least in our case, like parents of typical chidlren, we were naturally adapting to his needs, doing the trial & error that every parent does to try to find what worked & what didn't. Diagnostic label or not, he was & is still our son and we've never known him any other way. Sure, our days are probably more intense than your average family's days, but that's just the way autism works - it's your typical kid to the extreme, kwim?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i don't have any autistic kiddos... but heres a bump
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010