quilting question...

does the type of table you have your machine on really matter? I use a table and chair set in my sewing room, but it was suggested I go out and buy a sewing machine table.
If so... does anyone know of a good quality sewing table and where I can find one? Not too expensive.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 11:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I always used my dining room table because it was the only place to do it.  Sucked because it was an oval shaped so the fabric was always slipping off the table, lol.

When we lived in PA I didn't have any kind of table.  All I had was my mom's old sewing desk which is NOT made for quilting (it's just big enough for the sewing machine with a small space on the side).  I had to do all my cutting on the floor while pregnant--not fun.  If I sew here I have to do it standing up at the breakfast counter because we don't have a table (well we do but it's small, round and the computer is on it).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Lol, I use a painted inner door sitting on two nightstands for my sewing table. And I get as little done there as I would with an expensive sewing table ;) I don't think it matters as long as you are comfortable sitting at it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't say I quilt. I have a room full of fabric and gear and patterns. I have a list of quilts I hope to do. And I have a toddler, which means I do none of it! But I look forward to doing it again one day. Write me privately if you want to share ideas or anything :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 11:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I quilt at the dining table. There are special tables that the machine drops down into so that you're sewing on a totally flat surface, but they're very expensive, nice but not a necessity.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My girlfriend used a ping pong table for years. It was fantastic because you could lay the whole quilt out. I use my dining room table and it works out just fine. One day I will have my own craft room. Even then I would probably use a large table.
    chrstn_rm

Answer by chrstn_rm at 1:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am glad I am not the only one without a sewing table. I don't know anyone else who quilts.
    tryin2BGOOD

Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010