How can we get our kitten to stop biting?

We just got a kitten about a month ago and didn't have any problems until about 2 weeks ago. He started biting (not breaking the skin though, but pretty hard) and he won't stay away from the wires under our computer desk. I'm afraid that he's going to really bite someone hard enough to break the skin or get shocked from the wires. I don't want him to hurt anyone or himself and we've tried the spray bottle w/ water but it doesn't seem to work. What can we do because we dont' want to have to get rid of him because he's part of the family.

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pets

• I am a volunteer at my local cat shelter and we go through this all the time. NEVER play with him with your hands. Only toys. As for the wires.. that's very serious and you need to watch him or he will eat through it and and get electrocuted and probably die. Get a towel and either wrap the wires or just cover them up so he cant see him and watch him. If you see him going over to the wires distracted him or remove him from the situation. Be sure hes not eating any other wires. Hope he gets better. Good luck.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 11:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Every time he bites, have a little squirt bottle/squirt gun with water in it and squirt him? If he's biting you, you could give him a little flick on his nose.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Buy some toys for him to play with. Chasing balls with bells will keep him busy. A scratching post with hidden compartments will entriq his curiosity. Kitty love to explore, gete in boxes and hide. Chase things and bite on stuff. They are  creatures that like to be busy when awake. When he goes to play with you, don't use your hands only. Uses a great toy that he will try to get, and not your hands. If he goes for you when ever he feel playful and wants to bite I uses the word no and  show him a rolled up newspaper.Don't smack  him with it but show him the paper and use the word no. I have 4 cats and one was a wild cat. He still trys to get ya, but knows the word command for  NO biting. Give them plenty to do and distract them from bad habits and you will be fine

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• At the first sign of the kitten getting ready to bite (pinning the ears down, crouching, lowering the head, etc) Walk away or distract the kitten with water or a loud sound such as pennies in a pop can. Also, if he starts to mouth you, then cry out, stand up and walk away ignoring the kitten. Never play with your hands Catbites are very serious and you can end up in the hospital. Good luck.
    natesmom67

Answer by natesmom67 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• spry bottle or give her treats when shes doing a good job..i dont think u shouldent have hand contact every pat wants to b petted by its ouner...treats seem to work best 4 me..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008