What can we do to reform Food Stamps?

What ideas do you have that we could do that reform how food stamps are used? There is so much known abuse. Also, so much non-nutritional foods that when poor children are not fed well, then it becomes a health issue, which the government then pays for. Do you believe that reform is needed?

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 3:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree that non-nutritional foods like chips, candy, soda and other junk food need to be banned. These are expensive and waste money that could be spent on food that will HELP a child instead of harming him. Kids who eat large amounts of these foods do poorer in school and have more health problems - both of which make these kids cost the taxpayer more all throughout their lives. Limiting the food choices is a good start and a good way to help kids grow up healthy. Let parents spend their own cash on the junk food.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i dont think we should limit the foods people can buy cause then that affects personal choice to much but i know there are places where u can turn food stamps in to cash and thats not right i recive foodstamps and i get 298 a month and with wic i can get bye but its not an easy road so i think mabey your food stamps should be changed so that they give u coupons like wic so u can always have nutious food and mabey like 100 dollars a month for extras like pretzal and goldfish
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think Jajamama has a good idea...If they gave coupons for specific items like WIC does then they couldn't abuse it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think anyone who receives government assistance should have to pass a drug test. It would cut down on a lot of abuse of the system, since most drug users who receive assistance are abusing the system.
    Anonymous

• Yeah - I don't know what state you are in - but here unless you buy a "friends" groceries and they pay you in cash - there is no way to turn your food stamps into cash...
    Anonymous

• I think that, by making them EBT cards, they've alleviated a lot of the abuse that was going on. I think that it should really be up to the parents how they feed their children. If the children are not healthy or are malnourished, the doctor should step in and say something. I just don't think parents should be told that "you HAVE to give your child THIS milk" or whatever. Just because a family needs assistance does not mean that they have lost the freedoms of choice.
    Anonymous

• look-we-get-$5-per-perso-a-day-we-ca-ot-uy-really-healty---so-will-you-please-stop....i-mea-you-ca-have-them-too-if-you-give-up-everythig-we-did'nt-do-it-om-purpose--cam't-help-it-we-were-layed-off.
    one-day-you-might-eed-them.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• if-yall-get-soda-y-ca't-we
    mama2twins07

• Well, I know where im from they make you jump through so many hoops that even if your legite it is hell to get help.... You have to give a whole bunch of paper work, then it as to been done in a timely manner. or they will close your case. They started doing this to keep illegals from getting assistants for nothing. Now you have to have a job in order to receive help in most cases, or you have to show that your actively looking for work.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Mama2twins07..... people like you that actually USE their money the way that you are supposed to are not the ones that we are concerned about. As I stated in a previous question, I have no reserves about helping a family in need but damn do I get pissed at people who abuse the system. I do NOT work my ass off and pay taxes so that people can abuse the system to get cigarettes, beer, and junk food.
    So please, just relax and stop being so pissed....
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2008