Is it okay to use a infant child seat without a base because i do not have one and i dont know where to find just the base at and i cant afford anything way off the way or even a brand new car seat????

the car seat is an infant seat. It has never been in an accident. Its in great shape. But i want to know if its safe

duckiesgurl

Asked by duckiesgurl at 11:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes.... You can use the seat belt to secure the carseat in your car.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes you can... normally they have the spots on them to slide the seat belt through.. babies r us has bases though :)
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yep. In the top - molded in the plastic across where baby's legs are...you will see a slit in the plastic. The lap part of the seat belt goes under those slots - across the top of the seat
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Call your police or fire department to be sure. They may also be able to direct you to where you can get a safe carseat for free or for very little. Some towns have special events to provide car seats. Call and check.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you correctly install the seat EVERYTIME you use it, then it will be find without the base provided that the seat is less than 10 yrs old. If it is over 10 yrs old - it is "expired" and you need to get a new one.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I usually throw the bases away anyway :-) I don't like the way they fit in my car. It will be fine with just the seatbelt. And Congratulations on your baby :-)
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 11:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes! It is technically SAFER to use it without the base! The base is for convenience but strapping the seat directly into the car is #1.
    I know someone who was taken the hospital and was told this by the EMT, who strapped her child's seat directly in.
    Just be sure you are doing it properly.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• thank you guys this makes me feel better about taking my infant car seat saftey class without the base i didnt want to look stupid or like i was a bad mom cuz i didnt have one!!!
    duckiesgurl

Comment by duckiesgurl (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes you can.....I had a base for mine but only used it for about a week because my car was to small and with the base it was hard for me to get him out of the car and the person in the seat in front of it was all scrunched up lol. But you dont need the base. There should be 2 little lips on the sids of the seat that would go over their lap that the seatbelt goes through just make sure that you lock the seatbelt and make sure that it is tight. And all is good!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It depends. Many infant carriers allow for use without the base but some require the base to be used. Do you happen to have the manual?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2010