Is there anything you can do about shedding?

I'm a busy mom of two babies under 2 years old. My samoyed is shedding like crazy!!!! I don't have the time/energy anymore to constantly brush and cut him. It costs at least $45 here to get him groomed. Is there anything you can do to keep a dog's hair under control? Is it wrong to find him a new home?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pets

• I feed my pets Eukanuba and their coats have transformed. They don't shed anymore like they used to. Our vet said most shedding problems are caused by lack of brushing and diet.
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Buy some clippers and do it yourself. Thats what I do, saves tons of money. & Brushing them ofcourse. Other than that I dont know. I think its kind of odd to get rid of a pet just bc it sheds, did you not consider that before you got him? GL to you.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• brushing and bathing are really the only things i can think of to keep it under control.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes, it is wrong to get rid of a dog because they shed. The furminator brush is the best brush out there imo to get that undercoat and it does reduce the shedding. I do recommend brushing outside. Clipping him yourself can help cut down on the cost although $45 really is not that bad
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree with the Furminator brush. They also have Furminator shampoo although I haven't tried it. Salmon oil is great for the skin and coat, too.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:07 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have tried the furminator shampoo on one of my dogs and I could not tell a differance from it although I like how is smells so I have continued to use it on the one.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes it is wrong to get rid of a dog because it sheds. Did you not know it was a heavy shedder before you got the dog? How is that even the dogs fault?

Regular brushing, deshedding shampoo, t/d food from Science Diet or Shedx food (i think petco has it) can all help reduce shedding. Dogs shed based on light cycles. We artificially make the day longer with indoor lights and make the dogs shed more. Nothing will outright stop the dog from shedding.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Eukanuba and Science Diet (and other popular commercial brands like Purina, Pedigree, Iams, Ol' Roy) are crap. They are full of byproducts, corn, wheat, soy, fillers, and artificial colors and preservatives (and there are also suspicions that they contain euthanized cats/dogs). Nasty! If you are feeding one of these, I would first suggest that you switch to a high-quality food like the 4-6 star rated foods listed on www.dogfoodanalysis.com. Not saying that it will stop the shedding, but it definitely won't hurt.

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010