What is better? A midwife or an OB for a normal low-risk pregnancy

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 12:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had both durng my pregnancy. I started with a midwife that I LOVED! But then we had to move and I got an OB. That I HATED! He was always trying to be funny and he was not.....just made me mad...and he didnt listen to me. I also never saw the same OB so i didnt have my own doctor. I would like to have a midwife again for my next pregnancy....if that ever happens again lol...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would personally go with a midwife. but that is just me. good luck with whatever you decide
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• MIDWIFE ALL THE WAAAYYY. I had a OB and I so wished I had a midwife. THey are more understanding and aren't worried about the "liability" factor. It's annoying. Definitely get a midwife.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I had a midwife and had one meeting with a back up OB for just in case.

OBs are surgeons and they do great surgery. If you are planning a c section, get an OB. Midwives are more common outside the US where natural birthing is much more common. Choose based on the type of birth you want.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• MidWife hands down
    AVONMom1981

Answer by AVONMom1981 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It all depends on who the ob and midwife is. I've had a really crappy ob and now I have a great ob. As for a midwife I've heard they are really considerate but I've heard bad stuff about a few. I would just check out your options. Good luck.

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I had an OB for my first child and a midwife for my second. The difference is astonishing! With an OB you're a number, or payment, or notch in their belt. With a midwife you're family. Not as many patients with midwives, means more one on one time. Mine was fantastic. I'm still friends with both midwives the practice. I love them dearly!! You should ask around at your local health food store or farmer's market about who to go to. You'll get tons of feed back good and bad. Meet people from both professions. Do some interviews. Then see how you feel about it. The most important thing though is how YOU feel about it. Good luck to you :-)
    Carrielayne

Answer by Carrielayne at 12:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Hands-down: MIDWIFE!!

Fact!

I can offer info and stats and books, and sites, lol--- or just Google it yerself! lol
    ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• OBs can be great if you need surgery (because of a necessary condition which is known before labor...rare) and they are great if your normal low-risk pregnancy or birth becomes high risk (also rare...when left alone).

Evidence and scientific based information shows and supports the use of midwives for low-risk healthy women, and gives better outcomes. Evidence and scientific information shows that many times, more intervention does more harm than good.

So thinking *logically*, you're putting yourself and your baby at great risk by being baby sat by a surgeon/specialist your whole 9 months. Your normal pregnancy is *boring* and needs help, to stay interesting ;)

Midwife all the way, preferably one who was only affiliated with the sick house when her patients needed to transfer and had a good working relationship with the necessary staff, on the rare occassion you may have to meet them.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Midwife.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010