How many towels does a family of 5 need?

I seriously need new bath towels, handtowels and washclothes. But I don't know how many to buy, I have 2 1/2 bathrooms. I don't want to many or not enough. I just hate the thought of going to have to make the choices of what to buy, what color. now how many to buy.

mommawombat

Asked by mommawombat at 3:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Home & Garden

• depends on who uses what bathroom.. and how much you wash them..If you have a master bathroom. 4 to 6 bath towels,,,4 hand towels,,&4 to 6 washcloths..Kids bathroom6 to 8 bath towels,,,,4 to 6 hand towels,,,&6 to 8 washcloths,,,The 1/2 bath just a few hand towels to dry your hands off with..color,,,make it neutral.

Answer by louise2 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i have 3 each for each family member(there 5 of us also)
    Anonymous

• I guess it depends how often you use them and how often you do laundry. We have about 12-15 towels for a family of six.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I don't think I've ever run into to many bath towels. Except for my husband, everyone else uses 2 towels per bath, one for the hair and one for the body and sometimes an extra one to clean up the water the younger kids splash on the floor. I have one set that stays on the bar that matches my shower curtain and rugs, for the regular bath towels and wash clothes I bought 2 of each color. I would decide based on how often you want to do laundry :)

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• well they say not to use your towel more than 3 times because it begines to grow mold. So it depends on how often you wash also will depend on how many per person you will need.

Women = one for hair, one for body = 4 per week
    Men = one for body and hair = 2 per week
    Children x's 3= 6 per week (depending on age of child and if teen, does she put her hair in towel while drying off? then add 2 extra per week for her)

about 14 towels you are looking at, also do you need hand towels? wash rags?
    shawslady

Answer by shawslady at 3:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Gosh about 30 in my household, I am about ready to strangle my teens, they have a problem using the same towel everyday, it's just about killing me. I only have 1 day to do laundry and they go thru all of the towels before the weekend is even over. Time to color coordinate blue ones for one of them red for the other gold, white I don't know nothing ever works as good as it sound like it should.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• 1 million is not enough at my house. Seriously, I have a family of 5 and 2 bathrooms...and I can not have enough towels...someone needs one for something every hour of the day it seems. Buy extra, you can always store them in the top of the closet.
    Anonymous

• We only keep 14 towels in our house.

4 for each my teen daughter and I (2 for body and 2 for hair) = 8
    2 each for my husband and young children (just their bodies) = 6

I keep a garbage bag of old towels stored away for when we need them to clean up gross stuff (and then just throw them away).

I ask or new towels every year for Christmas (a set of three for my husband and I from my parents and a set of 3 for the kids from my husbands parents) which helps to slowly rotate my towels out each year. We do this with sheets as well.
    Anonymous

• As many a they can get
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We have five in our family and I don't think you can ever have enough towels. I'm on a mission to replace at least three towels each time I get paid. I have a tendency to keep towels circulating long after their shelf life. Some are in miserable condition and should have been retired to the rag bucket.
    Colors: I am buying burgandy, greens, and tans. These colors match pretty much any decor.
    PoodlePower

Answer by PoodlePower at 10:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2008