4 year old having surgery

My little boy is having surgery for a meatal stenosis. He turns 5 October 13th and the surgery takes place November 10th. How much should I tell my son about his surgery? It's a 30 minute outpatient deal and I've told him that the Dr is going to "take out his ouchies".
Also, I'm wondering how to be nice but firm with the Doctors? I just asked them permission to go back with my son while he has his procedure, waiting to hear back. I had a bad feeling about letting his first pediatrician take him back alone to do his circumcision, but didn't have a back bone then. I do now.
And just to clarify we circumcised for religious reasons, but didn't know the whole benefit of having a Rabbi do the procedure. I know there is a lot of controversy out there over circumcision, my family chose what is right for them. If you don't agree with it, please be kind in your response. Thanks friends :-)

Carrielayne

Asked by Carrielayne at 12:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you have a question about what is going on then ask. And dont feel stupid for asking....you did not go to medical school so you have the right to ask questions. And if you dont understand what they are telling you let them know. They will find another way for you to understand.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• With general they are not out all they way but they are out of it and will not remember. It is better for you to go back and keep him calm. Kids tend to get scared with things like this. I worked in the OR and never with this procedure but it sounds like it is just going to be in the office. So talk to them about going back with him even if you can not stay for the procedure. This way you can be there when he "goes to sleep" and when "he wakes up" Good luck to the both of you and I hope everything goes well.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• This is something that you need to talk to your sons doctor about. Is the procedure going to be done in the OR or back in his office. Will he be under general anastesia or local. This would determine wether or not you would be able to be there. If it is in the OR then you can not be in a steral enviorment. I know this because that is where I used to work...And he would be under general...so he would not be awake....If it is local then he will be awake and you should be there to keep him calm through the procedure. Although because they will make an incision then you might not want to look and see what they are doing. I dontthink your son needs to know any details about the procedure. "taking the ouchies away" is all he needs to know at that age. If you tell him much more then he will just get scared. For the being firm part...Just dont let them say something and walk away right away. cont....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh yeah I forgot one thing. If it is a procedure they want to do in the OR you can ask to get a gown to be there untill he is out. But there is not gaurentee that they will allow that. Like I said before it is a sterile enviorment So that can be touchy with some people.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If you are worried about how the treatment is with that hospital then see about going to another hospital for the procedure. By the way if you want to know a little more about the procedure here is a link you can check out. If you scroll down there is a "treatment" section that will tell you what they will do. I am sorry things have been this hard on you. I hope things look up. If you ever need to vent just send me a message. And update me to let me know how everything goes with the procedure.

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/urinary/diagnose/meatal-stenosis.htm

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Im sorry I dont know what a meatal stenosis is. But if its out patient, then are they going to put him in a twilight sleep or put him out all the way? You can request to be in there,,and it is up to the drs and hospital if you are allowed to be in there..Good luck with this and hope he is good as new asap
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think what you told your son is perfect. He's too young to understand too much. I'm not sure what kind of surgery that is....

As for asking to be in the room during the surgery. My son had a minor outpatient procedure when he was young, and the hospital insurance policy wouldn't allow anyone but hospital staff in the room during the surgery. You might check that out with the hospital before you talk to the doctor.

Good luck, and best wishes for a healthy and quick recovery.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:28 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's a small outpatient center that's affiliated with, but not in, the children's hospital. I think they said general anesthesia. I'll have to ask. The stuff I've read about this procedure has said parents are encouraged to go back with the child. But nothing I've read has said if these children were out all the way or not.
    Carrielayne

Comment by Carrielayne (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• your son will be in my prayers i am sorry for all this you and your family are going threw...if you have any questions call your child doctor and have a sit down have him take you step by step on the procedure do not feel like you should not ask something...your mind needs to be at ease...my daughter had her 1st surgery at 1month old then again every 3months for her 1st year...it's hard to see your child in that state i wish you guys all the best...just so you know my baby girl is now 6yrs old and she has her scar but she is fix... every time she looks at it she tells anyone who ask "i was born broken but the doctors fix me"...to this day i cry when i hear her say those words...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 12:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thanks Shelii! We've had a rough time. This hospital they are affiliated with has a horrible track record and I'm REALLY nervous. I've personally had issues with their ER in the past. Waited for 5 hours to see a urologist that they told our pediatrician was waiting on us. Then got told that because we were medicaid, they weren't going to call him. THEN the ER DR wouldn't even check out my son for what he was brought in for. He went on to lie to our pediatrician on the phone and then came in and told us our pediatrician was lying to him. Sigh. What a mess of a time. Thinking maybe I'm going to ask our pediatrician if we can be referred to someone else.
    Carrielayne

Comment by Carrielayne (original poster) at 12:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2010