How to find the right denomination for you?

I grew up in a house that believed in God, but we never went to Church & Church "things" where never explained to us. Therefor. I am very lost when it comes to this stuff. I grew up being told I was Baptist nothing more. But now that I am older I would like to make my own choice in figuring out what church I should attend. Ive never found a church Ive really liked enough to return too..
How does one go about finding the right Christian Denomination for them?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with checking out beliefnet. It has a great little survey you can take which can help you find your "religion of choice".

You can also do what I did which was just ask God to show you the way. And you'll be surprised at the informationt that comes at you. You might want to do this before you take the survey on beliefnet. :)

Good luck and God bless!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I would try out several churches, talk to the pastor after the service, get a feel for what their church community is like as well as what doctrine they follow.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Along with trying out different churches you may want to check out some sites that deal with specific denominations to get a better understanding of them. It may very well be that there isn't a specific denomination that you fit in with in which case I would suggest trying to find a non denominational church and see how that fits.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I gave up on finding a denomination and just go to a non-denom church. I'm a Christian and I don't think you need to be any specific religion. The Lord wanted us to have a relationship with Him, not a religion.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• First of all keep in mind it's not necessarily about the denomination as the beliefs of that particular church. You need to find a church that matches your beliefs first and foremost . I would encourage you to really sit down with yourself and God and figure out just what you believe and why. It's the start to a very hard core personal relationship. Once that's done...call up churches and ask to see their doctrinal statements/statement of faith ~ you can see in writing just what their viewpoints are and what is being preached. Than go...a church should feel like home, warm and welcoming. Listen to the message ~ does it speak to you, is it full of sound doctrine or just fluff. How's the music ~ do you love it? Are you comfortable with how they worship? Try it out for a couple of weeks, consistently. One visit isn't always enough to chose. Take your time, God will lead you to the perfect one.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 3:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• lifeofchaois..i couldn't have agreed more. you took the words right of my keyboard.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• check out beliefnet
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• you dont have to choose a denomination. You can attend a non-denomination or open bible church. But my advice would be to try out all different kinds and see what is most comfortable and works best for YOUR family. After all it is the same God and the same Jesus for the most part you will find the rest is made up of traditions with minor variances in beliefs
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• What Lifeofchaois said. Pray about it, then start researching. Visit lots of churches (we call it church-shopping). What did it for me was researching the history of the Church. Once I started delving into the origins of the Church, and how things developed over time (doctrines, denominations, etc), my path became very clear.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 8:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Go to non-denominationsl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2008