How long after a dog is neutered is he sterile?

I had my male chihuahua neutered a week ago today. My female came into heat late last week and they were stuck together yesterday evening (I was at work, my MIL had them). I really don't want a batch of puppies coming when I'm 8 months pregnant, should I even worry?

Sonnyswife

Asked by Sonnyswife at 12:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Probably will be fine. Be extra safe, get them both fixed (and head off potential health risks for both of them at the same time!)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am getting them both fixed. My vet wouldn't spay her until she had a heat cycle after having puppies. So now that she's in heat I still have to wait three weeks till they will spay her. I'm just so frustrated because my MIL promised she'd keep them seperated and every website I've looked for an answer on has different answers ranging from immediately-2 months.
    Sonnyswife

Comment by Sonnyswife (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Your vet won't spay your dog until she has a litter of puppies??? I hope I'm misunderstanding what you are saying because if your vet is encouraging you to add to the pet-overpopulation problem, you need to find a new vet! Sorry I don't know the answer to your question.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I know for people it is not effective immediately because there can still be some swimmers in the plumbing. I'm not sure how long dog sperm lives for. If you really can't deal with a litter of puppies, just bring her to the vets and they can give her a shot that will keep the pregnancy from progressing.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i heard it's 3 months. i was just reading up on this the other day. make sure you keep your male when she flags him. she will stand in front of him and put her butt in his face or be extra sweet and nice to him. it may just take one time and then sometimes it takes more ties to ensure a pregnancy. they may still be some left behind sperm that was in his testis. you won't know until at least 45 days if she has taken and then after that point your could get an ultrasound. you could even go soon and get her spayed and it will abort the puppies. thats sad but its your choice.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• CollinBayleeMom - No I wanted a litter of puppies from her for my mom, sister in law and myself to keep one. So I got my one litter of pups out of her and after she had them the vet wouldn't spay her until after she had a heat cycle to make sure there was no infection.
    Sonnyswife

Comment by Sonnyswife (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh. Thanks for clarifying. :)
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:40 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I'm under the impression the testicles are actually removed on a dog so basically they should be sterile that day.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:17 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Roadfamily6now: It is true that they remove the testicles BUT they do not remove all of the "duct work" (if you know what a mean) so there could be some little swimmers left over for a while.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2010

• I believe its effects are imediate..however, mating behaviors often dont stop for 12 weeks or more because the dog is still producing the hormones. Dont assume all will be fine, BUT I bet he didnt father any pups this time around :)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 3:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010