I have a 2 year old and she takes off running every chance she gets. She stops when I say stop, but not always, I am SO very afraid of her getting hurt or worse. I've talked and given consequences, but she thinks it's a chase game. What do I do?

newmomtiredmom

Asked by newmomtiredmom at 1:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You make damn sure you have a hold of that kiddo....My dd almost got hit by a car when I was trying to juggle gettin baby and his car seat out of the car and trying to keep an eye on her..She took off running into the street into uncoming traffic, her guardian angel tripped that girl and made her fall,,,as I was screaming at the top of my lungs for her to stop, my dd is 18 now,,the worst moment of my life. I will never forget it,,,,,it happened in a mega second.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My mom said I was a runner (security locked up the mall once because I took off and she couldn't find me). What broke me of it was : She took me to a park and let me play for a while. When she said it was time to go I ran away from her so she walked away, got in the car and left. My aunt was there watching me the whole time until my mom came back a few minutes later, but I didn't know that. I cried and never ran away from her again. It terrified me after that that she'd leave me.
    Sonnyswife

Answer by Sonnyswife at 1:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Where are you where she is running? My son is 2 and holds my hand wherever there is danger. He is OBSESSED with cars and things so "red light" is the magic word that makes him freeze, but I dont dare rely on it. He gets one chance in the store. If he doesn't stay close, I buckle him in the seat.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• never had that problem so i dont know..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They have the adorable little animal backpacks that she could wear. My son is 2 and has a monkey one and it's been a lifesaver.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 2:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My daughter tried the running thing at that age, and we simply made it a rule if we were outside she had to hold hands with whatever adult was with her, it didnt take long for her to understand if she wouldnt hold hands she wouldnt be going outside.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My DS did that ALL the time. I now say if you would like to walk you MUST hold my hand other wise you go in the stroller or I carry you. He figts it sometimes and I just pick him up...after that he walks with me.

The backpacks are a hard thing...they keep your peace of mind but they don't teach them to listen to you.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Same as coolchic - I tell my son that he can "hold mama's hand, or be carried." And yes, sometimes he tries to run off and I end up carrying him while he has a fit. Sorry, kid, that's the rule. I have used the leash-thing in the airport when sometimes I have to put him down/not having stroller and CANNOT take the risk. I would keep the leash/backpack thing on hand for those types of environments - better safe than sorry :-) Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010