I have medium brown hair. How can I get caramel highlights at a store? I only see blonde

Not going to a salon, they are too expensive

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 1:42 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• As a stylist I can honestly tell you if you screw it up and have to go to a salon it will cost way more for color correction than the original hilights. I would look for a salon in your area that will do a partial hilight (crown area) and some will even do just a few to see if you like it. Box colors are so bad for your hair, most contain way too much peroxide for the average person who uses it. A professional can make a well educated decision on what to use by looking at your natural color, skin and eye color. Someone cannot do this over the phone, you could have the same exact color hair as your best friend but the color may lift differently than hers, therefore it is not usually as easy as my friend used this, it will work on you. Good luck, wish you were in my area my prices are very affordable, I love doing hair and believe everyone should be able to afford beautiful hair.
    anniedooday

Answer by anniedooday at 11:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Honestly I wouldn't do it if I were you. At home dyeing and highlights is just too risky. Maybe find somebody who does hair that is local. Someone that you know. A friend or relative that will give you a deal.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You can try to get blonde and not leave it in as long...you just need to keep checking it. A friend of mine did it that way. You can also try to get a light brown and that might work. Although it might not get as light as you want it to. Hope you find something.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Do not highlight your own hair. It's a disaster waiting to happen and you'll probably end up at a salon anyway to have them fix the disaster.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm not sure, but I'll bump you!!
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 1:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i would try a strawberry blonde, but not leave it in quite as long as it says to.....if you're brave enough to try it at home ;) good luck
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Buy a light brown haircolor or a darker blonde, brush in hightlights, there is also a number on your haircolor box and they would be glad to tell you what colors you need to use.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have no advice for you then.. a salon is the only place you are going to get the exact look you truly want. Sorry... any other advice will only cost you more in the long run, so just go to a salon.

Try a beauty school salon if money is tight. But honestly we are professionals, we paid GOOD money for our education and we know what we are doing and there is a reason you are playing us that much money to do these services.
    Mixing color formulations for your hair requires knowledge in chemistry, hair structure (from what the hair is made of to the pigments inside your hair, especially those that are fake).. to color charting, levels, a tones, etc. If you want to do it at home, i can't stop you. But be aware that we know when it's a home job, and others will as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• "You can try to get blonde and not leave it in as long...you just need to keep checking it. A friend of mine did it that way. You can also try to get a light brown and that might work. Although it might not get as light as you want it to. Hope you find something. "

is your hair virgin or is it colored? Color won't lift color, so you can toss that idea if you already have color (dye) on your hair. If it's virgin, be prepared for it to lift differently in different parts of the hair, such as the roots and ends, and ending up with a calico more like look for "highlights".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:12 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• "Buy a light brown haircolor or a darker blonde, brush in hightlights, there is also a number on your haircolor box and they would be glad to tell you what colors you need to use. "

again, color won't lift color properly, and a "brush" looks fake and often ends up with a blotchy like look.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:13 PM on Sep. 30, 2010