I have a person who lives next to me (apt complex) who is a pill addict. She will take anything - not caring what it is. She will just eat them up. adult content

I don't understand addiction (other than my cigarettes and Diet Coke) so I don't know how to help her. I am pretty sure that she has stolen medications of mine...I keep them locked up now, but I don't know how to respond to her outrageous behaviors that must be associated with being on pills or withdrawing from them. Anyone else ever been through this? I can't move for another 6 mos or so. I have to keep peace but I also want to keep my sanity!!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 1:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I have been clean 4 yrs and I have a wonderful family and wonderful step-children my life still has it's challenges but there's nothing in this world that can bring back to using not matter what.I am a strong women & momma & I can get though anything in life that may come along. Why don't you speak to her and ask her if she has ever though about not doing pills everyday & maybe ask her if there is anything that you could do to help her to stop using.When addicts are in there motions of looking to"get well"they just want to be out of pain being addicted to pills makes you sick the worst stomach flu you could ever think of it takes over your body and you just want to die cause your so sick.She needs someone that is gonna care about her well being not to shit on her.Yes i understand that you can't trust her addicts you CAN'T trust they will steal and lie to you to get what they want.Be there for her friend & listen to what her.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Addiction is a very hard thing to go though in life and I do know first hand i was an addicted for 8 yrs and I to was addicted to pain killers and herion. It's not easy to just wake up one morning and say okay i have had enough and I am just gonna stop doing this but there comes a time in an addicts life that they have had enough and they have to WANT to get clean and they have want it so badly that they will reach out for help and put themselves in a rehab and go the detox and work on there selves and it's just not all better when they walk out of rehab. They have to change EVERything in there life friends, places that they go and some like me had to move away. Thank god i didn't have a family of my own. I had meant my hubby and he put up with a lot of stuff with me lieing and going behind his back and useing but he was there one and only person that believed in me and knew that i could get clean and stay clean. Cont below
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my ex sister in law (my 1st husbands sister) was addicted to pain killers, coke and weed...it was hard having her in my home after i had my son she stole my pain medication (i had a c-section) and it was horrible... i had to open a case on her to be able to get medications from my doctor and not look like i was abusing the medication...ppl like that i feel that can NOT be helped they need to want to be helped...so i took her out of my life...i lost a lot die to her addiction...she stole from me, my ex husband and even my child to pawn things to have her fix...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am sorry that you have to go through this but keep your pills up so she cant get them. Although it might be better for you not to even have her in your home. Sometimes it helps to find out why she started popping pills to begin with. But for the most part ther is nothing that you can do. That is something that her family needs to handle. But for the most part you should just stay out of it and try to keep her away from your children. We went through this with my aunt she ended up ODing last year because she refused to get help. She would take so many pills that she would fall asleep in the middle of talking to you then wake up and finish like she never fell asleep. And durring that time you would have had the time to get up and make a cup a coffee. We found out that she started taking pills because the stress from loosing 3 family members in just 1 year...mom dad and my stepmom...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Addiction is part disease, and part choice. It is definitely something that while in the throes of, a person really cannot gain control. It controls them. And they feel miserable, and want to hide, or die, and feed the addiction to escape the pain. Vicious cycle. But an addict can only gain control when they have had enough and are willing to fight a very tough battle to overcome it. And then each and every day for the rest of their lives, they will have to choose whether to feed it, or ignore it. It does not just go away.

I would suggest that you find an Alanon group to get involved with. Alanon is for folks in a relationship with an addict. Although this is primarily a neighbor, it is still a relationship that is affecting you. They can really support you in regaining your trust of her and others in your life.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 2:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010