Hives in 2 year old

About 5 days ago DD got hives out of no where. Called her pedi they just said give her benadryl. So I did and they went away that night. However, I am noticing that the same thing is starting to happen tonight. So far its just one spot on her back (which is where is started last time too but the opposite side) DH says its nothing to worry about he use to get the same thing. But I am a little concerened that this is not normal. Do you think I should make an appointment with her pedi or not?

AddyRF

Asked by AddyRF at 1:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes make an appointment. It may be an allergic reaction or eczema.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She had eczema really bad as a new born, but we have not had any problems since. I have no idea what it would be if its an allergic reaction though, she has not had anything new. Do you know how/if they would be able to find out what is causing it?
    AddyRF

Comment by AddyRF (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They can do allergy tests.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 2:07 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It is most likley an allergy. Some kids develop an allergy to the laundry detergent that you use. It could also be that the material of her clothes or a toy that started it or even soap from her bath. that happend with my son because the soap was not fully washed off and he broke out in hives. But take her in and see what they can do to see what is causing it before you try to change anything.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree with the allergy issue. My son went through a period of time where he was allergic to something in his diet and every time he had even the smallest bit he would break out in hives. I would definitely make her an appointment. I hope you are able to find out what it is from and that she is doing better soon. Good luck.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Can't hurt to check it with your doctor. My son had hives at 2 from an allergic reaction (suspected to be from part of the antibiotic he was on). He would have hives periodically for months after even without being re-exposed. The doctor told me it wasn't uncommon for them to come back for a while. If they bothered him, we gave him Benedryl. If they didn't we ignored them and waited for them to go away.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2010