Anything that can stop heavy periods?

I've been having heavy periods and it's really interfering with my life. I can't go anywhere the first 3 days of my period because it's just too heavy. It's accompanied by cramping and just a general queasiness. If I go to the doctor, is there anything he can do to make them lighter, or take them away altogether? Anyone else have this problem? I only ask anonymously because I have real life friends here and don't want them to know! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Health

• The only thing that I know of is birthcontrol. I am on implanon and i get a period maybe every 2-3 months. And even then it is more or less just spotting. And I get no cramps. Before they used to be bad to where i would be on the floor crying and it was such a heavy flow. I would talk to them about the different types of birthcontrol and see what they can do. Good luck and hope you find something that works for you....I know your pain lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've had them on and off throughout my life. They suck to say the least. The only thing I know of is birth control as well. I would get checked out though because heavy bleeding can sometimes be something serious.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I suffered with this for 10 years - several days a month where I absolutely could not leave the house and had to walk around with a mop basically. Doctors couldn't suggest much of anything except putting me back on the pill. No thank you, my sister was having the exact same issues while on the pill too. Started researching alternative treatments in hopes of finding something. Starting taking unsulphured black strap molasses twice a day, every day, and my periods are lighter and much more manageable. It has to be unsulphured to work, I'm told. Maybe visit the earth clinic website - there are lots of alternative methods listed there. Best of luck to ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Talk to your GYN about an ablation (They remove the lining of your uterus). I had one done 6 weeks ago (mine was the "Novasure" procedure, there are several different ones), haven't had a period yet. Mine was done in the docs office, it was a little painful, but not too bad. My insurance paid for most of it. I know two other women that have had them done and they never had a period afterward. (Some women do have a lighter period after the procedure). The only real risk is that you can still get pregnant, but there is no lining to support the pregnancy - I was a good candidate because my DH has had a vasectomy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Forgot to mention that my periods were horrible - like you, I couldn't go anywhere on the heaviest days. I almost cried when the doc told me about this procedure, and that it had been available for 10 years.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:42 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• An ablation, which removes the lining of your uterus. I had this done about a year ago and now I just spot one or two day a month.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 9:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Also check to see if you have fibroids- They can be the cause of the heavy periods. Ablation is a good option. For me, menopause was the answer. Those periods were so debilitating and interfered with quality of life.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2010