This Sunday I will be going to church for the first time in YEARS.

It's a UU church.
I remember going to church as a child, with friends and such. We usually were told to dress up. Look nice. etc.
Is it necessary to do that still? Should i dress myself and my boys in our "Sunday Best"? or does it matter?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:28 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not sure what a UU church is? How you dress shouldn't really matter as long as its respectful. Don't show up at church wearing jeans with holes in them and a tank top that shows off your tramp stamp.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Respectful? of whom? if you people are supposed to be worshiping a being which in all actuality is merely in your minds and not in the flesh (in any form), i guess it would depend on your religion but I thought these deities you people created were supposed to be so forgiving. In this case why should it matter what you clothe your body with when you come to worship? that is superficial.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No it isn't superficial. It is being respectful to God in His house. And you aren't supposed to PURPOSELY dress in a sinful or lewd manner.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You will find a wide range of dress at most churches. Some still wear their "Sunday best" and others are more casual.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh at a UU church it is very relaxed. Some wear jeans others wear business casual. It is very relaxed, just be comfy
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I believe in dressing modestly and comfortably no matter where I'm at. Especially for your boys I would have them wear nice but comfortable outfits. Put it this way, if you're all super fancy like you're standing in a wedding and they're not you're probably going to stick out. Same thing if you're in baggy jeans and t-shirts and they're mostly dressed up. So I'ld go with something a bit more in between, nice but not too fancy, then you should blend just fine. But, of coarse, it's not about what you wear it's about fellowship with God and then, His people. I hope you have a good time.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• good luck, i hear they are much more open and relaxed than the stricter Christian ones. Personally I like Pagan...no where you need to go or dress. :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Zoeyis
    I am Pagan.
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Differant churches have differant ideas of what to wear, but I have found that most are not concerned with what you wear as long as you look nice, you can wear jeans just not with holes in them and maybe a nice pair of pants. I go to Southeast Christian and they have a sermon on Saturday and Sunday. I've found that more people dress up on Sunday and more dress casual on Saturday but to be safe I would probably dress nice for the first time. Also shop around for a church that when you leave you feel inspired the first church you visit may not be for you.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010